Thread: More 455 issues!!!!!

Tim_T
    My buddy has a 455 that just wont stay running. You turn the key and it will fire but it wont start up. Then when it does start up it only stays running for about a minute and then dies. We have replaced the distributor and starter solenoid. We set the timing to top dead center and the firing order is correct. What are we missing here? Its an HEI Distributor too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And Throwing the motor away and buying a chevy isnt gonna happen. (I already tried that one). Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Tim_T
    Thanks in advance.
    Speaking of advance, try a little. Top dead center I'm assuming you mean zero advance. It won't run well there. Start at about 32º total and go from there.

Cas
    since you may have troubles checking the total, try setting it at 8º to 10º BTDC initial

CrdStang
    It aint the timing.
    Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, have you checked to make sure there's still plenty of gas in the carb after it dies?
    I've heard of coils shutting down when they start to get warm, ditto with ignition modules. Check to see if it still has spark after it dies.
    You can usually tell an ignition problem from a fuel problem by how the engine sounds. If it starts to splutter and cough, it's probably fuel, if it evenly drops cylinders or suddenly cuts out completely, it's probably ignition.
    Good luck..

skipr
    Sounds like the same problem I had this spring. I ended up having around 3 gallons of water in the gas tank. Aparrently the o-ring on the fuel cap was no good along with my cover being a piece of crap, everytime it rained water was going in the tank.:yuk: :yuk: