Thread: 454 Rattle

shirkey4750
    Friends freshly rebuilt 454 has a ratteling noise after only a few hours on the rebuild. Tore down and can't find any probable cause. Only thing questionable was that you could push on the rocker arms and shove the lifter centers down with minimum pressure. These are new Comp. hyd. lifters. The question is, should you be able to shove the lifters down that easy?

HammerDown
    Fresh rebuild...are you sure the oil galleys were clean? After the engine is run no you shouldn't be able to compress a lifter via rocker arm by hand. They should be rock solid...unless ya have a bad lifter And I've seen that 1'st hand, So has JetMech.

shirkey4750
    I built the motor and everything was wire brushed with brake clean. He called Comp today and cam and lifters are going back to them. The lifters were the only thing that I found that were questionable.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by shirkey4750
    I built the motor and everything was wire brushed with brake clean. He called Comp today and cam and lifters are going back to them. The lifters were the only thing that I found that were questionable.
    I went thru three sets of comp hydraulic junk till I put a solid back in.