Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Hull - 3rd time

Blowin Money
    I have a 2001 25' Daytona. The starboard sponson keeps cracking. This is the 3rd time it has cracked in different waters.
    I would like some feedback and opinions on this problem. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of others? I thought the Daytona's was a superior choice in the boat industry, that's why I bought it.
    This is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if I can be satisfied with it being repaired.
    Any thoughts?
    Blowin Money

WhiteShadow
    without going into too much detail, my best friend past away approximately 6 years ago in that same boat(25 daytona). After seeing the boat following the accident, i could see where all the negativity surrounding these boats had come from. His boat was done from start to finish in about 4 weeks. I personally would never own another one again. Not to say all are made that way, but to me 1% chance would be way too much of a risk! Just my 2 cents.

Rocket-J
    Did you buy the boat new? It looks like crash damage. Al

h2oski2fast
    From the looks of the pictures, I'd say that there might be a bulkhead that is too close to the hull. When the hull flexes it hits the bulkhead (or another structure in there) that it's hitting. They would probably go in there, cut the bulkhead, or object, back so it wouldn't hit.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by WhiteShadow
    without going into too much detail, my best friend past away approximately 6 years ago in that same boat(25 daytona). After seeing the boat following the accident, i could see where all the negativity surrounding these boats had come from. His boat was done from start to finish in about 4 weeks. I personally would never own another one again. Not to say all are made that way, but to me 1% chance would be way too much of a risk! Just my 2 cents.
    If anyone would know it would be you first hand. The picture to me looks bad enough that I wouldn't ride in it. Bulk heads cause more of a spider crack not some serious cracks like that. The scary part is they said thay fixed it 3 times. Grinding and re-geling isn't fixing serious cracks.

Tinkerer
    That is not impact damage unless you count impact with water.
    That strake buckled - It caved in from lack of support or insufficient strength for the speed you were going in whatever water conditions you were in.
    That is water impact damage.

mike37
    IM going to say that if you bout it new and there has never bin an impact with something
    That wen it was puled from the mold it stuck in that spot and was fix improperly at the factory

Blowin Money
    Thanks for the posts.
    1. Yes, I bought the boat new and it only has 72 hours on it.
    2. The bulkhead is about 12 inches from where the cracks are.
    3. Speed ranges from 40-80 mph. This time around was 40-45 mph.
    4. No, it has never been in an accident.
    5. I have raced boats at higher speeds in the race circuit and had many high performance boats and never had any hull problems.
    6. Both sponsons cracked the first time. The 2nd and 3rd time is the starboard sponson.
    7. Most importantly, it has never been stuffed.
    8. Do you think they are adding too much catalyst to the resin, making the hull too brittle and not being able to flex?
    9. The dealer seems to think the hull was laid up too light.
    10. Do you think that asking for a new hull is out of the question?
    11. Considering the circumstances, this cannot be repaired enough with my families safety in mind. They don't want to go out on it anymore.
    12. Does anyone know if there is a "lemon law" for boats???
    Thanks
    Blowin Money

castaway
    have you contacted the factory about this problem? if so, what was their response??

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Blowin Money
    Thanks for the posts.
    1. Yes, I bought the boat new and it only has 72 hours on it.
    2. The bulkhead is about 12 inches from where the cracks are.
    3. Speed ranges from 40-80 mph. This time around was 40-45 mph.
    4. No, it has never been in an accident.
    5. I have raced boats at higher speeds in the race circuit and had many high performance boats and never had any hull problems.
    6. Both sponsons cracked the first time. The 2nd and 3rd time is the starboard sponson.
    7. Most importantly, it has never been stuffed.
    8. Do you think they are adding too much catalyst to the resin, making the hull too brittle and not being able to flex?
    9. The dealer seems to think the hull was laid up too light.
    10. Do you think that asking for a new hull is out of the question?
    11. Considering the circumstances, this cannot be repaired enough with my families safety in mind. They don't want to go out on it anymore.
    12. Does anyone know if there is a "lemon law" for boats???
    Thanks
    Blowin Money
    Like White Shadow said they have been known to build a boat from start to finsh in 4 weeks, INSANE! So that would lead to think that curing process was rushed causing problems.
    Asking for a new hull is not out of the question and should be done A.S.A.P. There is Lemon Law with boats also and that could be another avenue to go down if they don't step up.
    I've seen stress cracks before but they look like spider webs and aren't that deep. What yours looks like is structure cracks real deep. I've never seen cracks like that other than from a accident of some sorts.
    Either way your safety is the most important thing and needs to be the #1 priority.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast