Thread: Zoomie ?

Heatseeker
    I'm planning on putting my new(to me) boat in for the first time on Thursday. Due to a boondoggle over a set of headers I bought, I borrowed a set of zoomies from slotracer to test fire it in the driveway. I got to thinking it might be nice to hear the "full chorus" for the maiden voyage. So, now I'm kinda set on it.
    Slotracer reminded me that there ain't much pipe there(just guessing, I'd say maybe 12" per). He suggested I bring some rags to plug the pipe openings as soon as I shutdown, to avoid a rush of cold air from getting to the exhaust valves. Is this neccesary? It kinda makes sense, my old shop teacher used to say not to run without at least header length pipes.
    What do you zoomie guys do?

Nstigator74
    I've never seen anyone at the races do that

PE 316
    Dan Olson Motorsports (Fresno, CA) and Bassett Racing (Anaheim, CA) both make ALUMINUM "zoomie" covers for their headers...
    On our Top Alcohol Flat / Pro-Eliminator equipped with "zoomies" we would IMMEDIATELY put the covers on after "warming-up" the engine prior to racing it. (So as to keep as much "heat" in the motor as possible). We would also put the covers on as soon as possible after making a pass with it (as soon as we could when it was put back on the trailer).

Fiat48
    I believe the "rush of cold air getting to the exhaust valves" is more racer religion than anything else.
    The olsen covers work nice. Also we used to make them out of bearing buddy covers and chain them together. When the pipe cools down after running (and it doesn't take long) just slip on the covers. No big deal.

GofastRacer
    Like he said, and if you "Jet-Hot" them instead of the chrome shit, they will cool down even faster!..

Heatseeker
    If I'm picking this up right, you use the covers to retain heat and keep crap out more than anything else?
    I just don't want to damage the valves on my first cruise of the year. That would make it the last also!
    Thanks.

Infomaniac
    Tennis balls are what I use to keep rocks and critters out while towing.

Speedin' Ian
    We use tennis balls most of the time, but do use the Olsen covers after shutting down the motor

Nstigator74
    Maybe I was a little short. You should have some covers, but you don't have to crawl to the back of your boat to install them the instant you shut the motor off.

Keith
    8 caps from spray paint cans.....i know, i am cheep!