Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Boaters

Havasu_Dreamin
    Keeping It Clean: Volunteers pick up after people leave trash behind
    BY GARY WEIAND
    Tuesday, July 6, 2004 10:02 PM MDT
    When you volunteer to pick up after litterbugs, you're likely to find just about anything - including the proverbial kitchen sink.
    At 7 a.m. Tuesday, the Keep Havasu Beautiful Committee sent 13 volunteers in three boats to clean up the Lake Havasu shoreline. In less than four hours they had collected enough garbage to fill a large Dumpster.
    Dean Barlow, committee chairman, said that the committee participates in five cleanups a year including three following the major summer holidays, but the shore quickly attracts new litter.
    "People on boats just go along and throw things. They seemingly don't have any concern with the environment or the lake or anything," he said.
    "It's unbelievable what you find," said volunteer Howard Roseen. "You find baby diapers all over the place. You wonder why people can't pick up after themselves."
    The volunteers went ashore wherever they spotted accessible litter. They struggled up hills, fought through brush, and waded through shallows to pick up other people's junk. John Nelson said that after 15 years of volunteering for such work, he still doesn't understand the litterbug mentality.
    "They must think that when they throw their junk behind some brush they've done their environmental chore. Out of sight, out of mind," he said. "The ones who get arrested for all this crap ought to have to clean it up. These guys haven't done anything to deserve this kind of work."
    But for all the plastic bags hanging like ugly ornaments from the salt cedar, for all the cans strewn over the beaches, and for all the pieces of foam rubber trapped amid the reeds, trash isn't limited to small stuff. Some was either brought into coves by boat, or lowered down a bank.
    Barlow said that his crew alone picked up several wood flats, some tires, a pillow, an old gas barbecue, the remnants of several mattresses and chairs, some old box springs, several foam mattresses, cardboard - and a kitchen sink.
    Some sites looked like camps. One featured a clothesline strung between salt cedars, a blue blanket and scattered piles of refuse.
    "Looks like the Viet Cong were here," said Nelson. "Somebody will come back this evening, see everything gone, and say, 'somebody ruined my house.'"
    "Judging from all the dirty diapers I've picked up here, I'd say it was a family activity," said Barlow.
    According to Barlow, there is a bright spot to the struggle against litter. The committee's distribution of 60,000 trash bags to area marinas and launch ramps reaches a great many responsible boaters, he said.
    "They are used. Just look in a Dumpster after any weekend," he said.
    Reprinted without permission from Todays News Herald
    People that go to the lakes, or anywhere for that matter, and just leave their trash there should be ashamed of themselves.

HavasuDreamin'
    The thing I don't understand is..............it isn't anymore difficult to throw your garbage in a sack on your boat than it is to throw it on the beach! What is it..........maybe 10 steps to your boat!
    Stupid people suck!

Phat Matt
    That is one thing that really frustrates me at the river. I have seen people just throw their empty cans up on the beach right in front of there boat in the channel, and when they are ready to leave, they just leave!!! They don't pick them up and take them to the trash cans! It reflects on all of us that goes there. And yes I went and picked it all up and one of the cops said thanks.
    This past weekend I also saw this "white trash" looking chick act like white trash when she knocked off a plastic blue cup off the back of their boat on PURPOSE while she was getting in to leave. Then they backed over it and it sank. WTF? Some people just don't care or they don't get it.
    These people will end up ruining it for the rest of us.
    Pick up after yourself because your Mom's not going to do it for you.

MikeF
    UNFORTUNATELY, It is something we see all the time. :yuk:
    In the fraction of a second, the person about to litter could change their mind and put it in the right place.
    Hold onto it and put it in the can. There are better places for it!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Originally posted by Phat Matt
    This past weekend I also saw this "white trash" looking chick act like white trash when she knocked off a plastic blue cup off the back of their boat on PURPOSE while she was getting in to leave. Then they backed over it and it sank. WTF? Some people just don't care or they don't get it.
    These people will end up ruining it for the rest of us.
    Pick up after yourself because your Mom's not going to do it for you.
    Exactly! It's losers like that that don't need to be on the lake!

Debbolas
    Trash Bag in your ski locker, (2 seconds)

hd&boatrider
    I always take extra bags and hand them out to people. They are free right at the launch area so why not use them. I know some people see me take 6-7 of them and probably think I take them home or something like that. Easy to just take extras and give them to people out on the lake. I guess it is my way of helping out. I suggest you all do this.

Phat Matt
    Originally posted by hd&boatrider
    I always take extra bags and hand them out to people. They are free right at the launch area so why not use them. I know some people see me take 6-7 of them and probably think I take them home or something like that. Easy to just take extras and give them to people out on the lake. I guess it is my way of helping out. I suggest you all do this.
    So you are the reason they run out? Why don't you just buy some instead of stealing them to take home?
    J/K, that's a good idea. I have a roll of trash bags in my boat if anyone needs them. They kinda suck though, I need to pick up some Hefty's.

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by Phat Matt
    So you are the reason they run out? Why don't you just buy some instead of stealing them to take home?
    J/K, that's a good idea. I have a roll of trash bags in my boat if anyone needs them. They kinda suck though, I need to pick up some Hefty's.
    If I am going to do some work out there and they have the bags...why go buy others. I know you are just giving me shit...that's OK at least I know the boats around me leave with all their trash. The bags at the dock are like big hefty bags by the way. At least at Mohave, I don't know about Havasu or Mead

Phat Matt
    Originally posted by hd&boatrider
    If I am going to do some work out there and they have the bags...why go buy others. I know you are just giving me shit...that's OK at least I know the boats around me leave with all their trash. The bags at the dock are like big hefty bags by the way. At least at Mohave, I don't know about Havasu or Mead
    I'm just phuckin' with ya. The bags they had out are the same and they are very strong. They are better than the cheap ass ones I have in my boat, but they still work. Thanks for keepin' it clean!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast