Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing somthin big? Take a look.

Danhercules
    Just thought I would pass it on.
    Would suck to happen again.
    Think you truck is big enough? (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...howtopic=24262)

djunkie
    Now that would be a nightmare. Going from having it all to nothing at almost a blink of an eye.

Danhercules
    I just did my claulations on my 5th wheel and truck. I dont know how insurance dose it, but with the my truck, 04 chevy 4x4 diesel, crewcab, short box, and my 32' trailer, I am clear by less than 100 lbs. I never have my trailer maxed out, not even close. So I should be OK. But if for some reason, the ins co would go by GVWR and not what the trailer weighs at the time of an accedent, I would still be fine. But if I had a 35' trailer, I know people that do with my truck, they will not be ok if the ins co goes by GVWR. Scary stuff.

Propster
    That is a trajic story, however, this was an accident with no criminal intent. Seems he would have been a lot better off with a real lawyer. After all, he believed he was working within the limits of his vehicle and trailer. Once they sued over the value of his insurance, he should have been able to file bankrupcy to protect himself and his family.

djunkie
    I didn't read through out that whole thread but I wonder exactly how fast he was going? I do see a lot of people that are close to maxxed out going way to fast. Some where in that thread someone said that just because your truck will do 80mph with all that behind it doesn't mean you should. I agree with him.

gnarley
    I just did my claulations on my 5th wheel and truck. I dont know how insurance dose it, but with the my truck, 04 chevy 4x4 diesel, crewcab, short box, and my 32' trailer, I am clear by less than 100 lbs. I never have my trailer maxed out, not even close. So I should be OK. But if for some reason, the ins co would go by GVWR and not what the trailer weighs at the time of an accedent, I would still be fine. But if I had a 35' trailer, I know people that do with my truck, they will not be ok if the ins co goes by GVWR. Scary stuff.
    Dan, if your CGVR is clear by less than 100, IMHO you are not safe. You should have at least a 1000 lb buffer for any of the suff you haul. Some extra food, ice chests, water gas, and a few who knows what and you are over the limit without even trying.

gnarley
    That is a trajic story, however, this was an accident with no criminal intent. Seems he would have been a lot better off with a real lawyer. After all, he believed he was working within the limits of his vehicle and trailer. Once they sued over the value of his insurance, he should have been able to file bankrupcy to protect himself and his family.
    I'm no lawer but I think the only safety is if everything you have is in a trust, if not it is free for the taking when being sued.

Phat Daddy
    So what your saying is that I should stop using my Tacoma to pull my 30' Daytona

Danhercules
    Dan, if your CGVR is clear by less than 100, IMHO you are not safe. You should have at least a 1000 lb buffer for any of the suff you haul. Some extra food, ice chests, water gas, and a few who knows what and you are over the limit without even trying.
    My calculations is FULL FULL FULL. Full payload, witch I NEVER am full, and MAX GVWR on my 5th wheel. I am NEVER full. Just IF I was full payload of truck and MAX load in trialer, I am clear by 100lbs.
    My trailer can carry 5k or weight, thats after my water and propane. It is a little close, but as I said, I am NEVER even close to MAX on either when I travel.
    I was shocked to see how close to the max I am if I were ever to haul my max.

riverbound
    Maybe I should start using this to tow the boat full time instead of the f-350 some might consider it over kill.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...re_323-med.jpg
    Actually we used to tow our Alfa toyhouse with the f-350 until we realized that fully loaded the trailer was just below the max for the f-350 and we didnt feel comforatable doing that. Now we tow the toyhouse no problem (40 footer)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast