Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danger in exposure to the sun

Mohavekid
    Just a word of advice and caution to my fellow boaters. be careful of how much you tan or sunburn.
    I just got the news from my dermatologist yesterday, I have skin cancer, specifically Stage 1 Melanoma on my chest.
    I'm not quite 40 which is fairly young for this type of thing. My dermatologist attributes it to damage caused by exposure to the sun. I am lucky, it was caught very early, and I should be OK with just a excision of the mole and the cancer.
    I am a life long boater and have been going to the river since I was born. I remember many sunburns as a child and even more as an "invincable" teenager and young adult. I never realized that a sunburn was anything more that some pain that would go away in a day or two.
    I have had to learn this lesson the hard way. I know it's not "cool" but some of this stuff can save your life.
    If you're going to be out in the sun,
    1. Buy and use sunscreen with a minimum SPF rating of 15.
    2. Wear a wide brimed hat and sunglasses.
    3. Wear a shirt preferrably with a dark color and a tight weave in the fabric.
    4. Check yourself regularly for changes in moles or spots on your skin.
    5. If you suspect anything, see your doctor or dermatologist to have it checked.
    Skin cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers and one that spreads very quickly if not noticed soon enough.
    For more info, go here http://www.mpip.org/

Dr. Eagle
    Been there, done that ...... got the scars to prove it. ALways wear a dark tee shirt and 35 to 50 SPF sunscreen, stay under the bimini or canopy, and wear a hat. After having about an 18mm circle removed from my back, I watch it.

Debbolas
    I know, I know............I make my dermo appointments during the winter when I am pale......Hope you feel better soon!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Debbolas
    I know, I know............I make my dermo appointments during the winter when I am pale......Hope you feel better soon!

Sometimes being white REALLY sucks... Especially after having 15 moles removed over the years... one of them a Mellinoma...

RiverToysJas
    I'm actually getting more conserned about this all the time. I had a lot of sun burns and dark tans when I was a kid. Now in my mid-30s, I am very aware that Skin Cancer is a leading cause of death in my demographic.
    Coppertone Sport SPF 30 is always on board the Lavey these days. I'm just hoping they don't find suntan lotion gives you cancer!!!
    RTJas

Boozer
    You dont have to be old to get skin cancer.
    Most of you seen the pictures of my surgery. I have a nice scar about 9" long on my neck from removing skin cancer. Fortunately it wasnt mellinoma but rather a carcenoma. Regardless I have been very careful and if you seen me in havasu you'd realize just how careful. My face and arms are tanned the rest of me is pastey white. I'd rather look funny then be dead. I use SPF 50 baby magic sunscreen.
    And I'm 23. So you dont have to be old.

jm2drvr
    had a good size chunk taken out of my back a couple of weeks ago, have to go back and get double the size taken out again next week...hopefully they will get it all this next time. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have always been religious about the lotion, staying in shade whenever possible, and puting the bimini up.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by jm2drvr
    had a good size chunk taken out of my back a couple of weeks ago, have to go back and get double the size taken out again next week...hopefully they will get it all this next time. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have always been religious about the lotion, staying in shade whenever possible, and puting the bimini up.
    Thats just the way it happened to me. He took a mole off plus about 4mm around... called me back a week later and took another 10mm (as I recall) all the way around it.

Kilrtoy
    What does mellinoma look like

bigq
    Found this article on a cancer site, kinda interesting. Are all you guys out in the sun a lot and not just the river? Just curious, what skin tone are you guys, have lots of mold, dark hair or light.
    Scientists Make Hot Discovery
    Spicy Chilies May Stop Skin Cancer Growth
    Exposing skin cancer cells to the chemical capsaicin, which gives chili peppers their spicy flavor, caused the cells to stop growing and eventually die, according to a recent Journal of the National Cancer Institute report written by Drs. Reuben Lotan and Numsen Hail in M. D. Anderson’s Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology.
    The researchers reported that capsaicin and a related compound derived from a tree interfere with the cancer cells' ability to use oxygen. The oxygen-deficient cells then commit cellular suicide, called apoptosis. The natural product capsaicin is currently used in creams and ointments to relieve pain and inflammation. It is also used to treat psoriasis and herpes.
    Dr. Lotan studied capsaicin's effects on squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer. The scientists applied the chemical for 30 minutes and then measured the ability of laboratory skin cells to use oxygen, particularly in the mitochondria, the cell's powerhouse and energy factory. When the researchers examined the cancer cells' response, they determined the cells had stopped growing and had entered into a cycle that leads to death.
    Dr. Lotan points out that the concentration of capsaicin that was effective in killing skin cancer cells is eight to 25 times lower than that now used in topical creams, making it a good candidate for use in a cream or patch to prevent or treat skin cancer. The study was funded in part by grants from the National Cancer Institute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast