Just a word of advice and caution to my fellow boaters. be careful of how much you tan or sunburn.
I just got the news from my dermatologist yesterday, I have skin cancer, specifically Stage 1 Melanoma on my chest.
I'm not quite 40 which is fairly young for this type of thing. My dermatologist attributes it to damage caused by exposure to the sun. I am lucky, it was caught very early, and I should be OK with just a excision of the mole and the cancer.
I am a life long boater and have been going to the river since I was born. I remember many sunburns as a child and even more as an "invincable" teenager and young adult. I never realized that a sunburn was anything more that some pain that would go away in a day or two.
I have had to learn this lesson the hard way. I know it's not "cool" but some of this stuff can save your life.
If you're going to be out in the sun,
1. Buy and use sunscreen with a minimum SPF rating of 15.
2. Wear a wide brimed hat and sunglasses.
3. Wear a shirt preferrably with a dark color and a tight weave in the fabric.
4. Check yourself regularly for changes in moles or spots on your skin.
5. If you suspect anything, see your doctor or dermatologist to have it checked.
Skin cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers and one that spreads very quickly if not noticed soon enough.
For more info, go here http://www.mpip.org/