Thread: Exhaust restriction

I had the boat out last weekend and noticed an exhaust leak. Pulled the log tonight to replace the gasket (burned out, not warped), and fit the gasket to the exhaust ports to check the match. These D3's were port matched before and line up well. For the hell of it, I checked the match to the log. When I first lined it up, I thought it was backwards. Flipped it around and it lined up better. Checked it on the head again, and sure as hell, the ports on the log are off about 3/16". I scribed the gasket to the log ports and matched it, but it makes me wonder. These heads don't breath that well on the exhaust side as it is, so can I really expect to see any noticeable gain from port matching the logs? Has anyone else run into as crappy port alignment on logs as this?

Bajajet
    Yup. Same deal hear. I did match mine but other things were done at the same time too so who knows. I believe only "one" log was ever made. Not one for both sides. So one side fits pretty good and the other fits like crap. Don't know if this is a Ford only thing or if the Chevy logs were the same deal.
    Craig

I have to pull the other log to replace the hose, and I'll be checking port alignment on that side as well. Kind of a pisser now knowing one bank has been choked off since 1983.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by Bajajet
    Yup. Same deal hear. I did match mine but other things were done at the same time too so who knows. I believe only "one" log was ever made. Not one for both sides. So one side fits pretty good and the other fits like crap. Don't know if this is a Ford only thing or if the Chevy logs were the same deal.
    Craig
    uh.....you know that there is only ONE casting for the heads too there is no such thing as a right and left side head
    Omega