Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skag / Skeg

Cheap Thrills
    Either is correct according to Webster's.
    Definition of Skag - Webster's 1913 Dictionary n.1.(Naut.) An additional piece fastened to the keel of a boat to prevent lateral motion.
    Definition of Skeg - Webster's 1913 Dictionary n (Naut.) The after part of the keel of a vessel, to which the rudder is attached.
    C.T. :wink:

Misogynist
    Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
    Definition of Skag - Webster's 1913 Dictionary n.1.(Naut.) An additional piece fastened to the keel of a boat to prevent lateral motion.
    Definition of Skeg - Webster's 1913 Dictionary n (Naut.) The after part of the keel of a vessel, to which the rudder is attached.
    C.T. :wink: Skag... skeg... skank... the part of the boat above the keel that goes down on the captain....

Ziggy
    Sounds more like one is attached to the boat and one is not. Well maybe indirectly.

JetBoatRich
    Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
    C.T. :wink:
    Another ***boat lesson learned

HighRoller
    Skag: The woman who goes down on the captain.
    Skeg: The part of an outdrive that gets knocked off when the skag goes down on the captain.

Essex502
    Skag or Scag is also a slang for Heroin.

uvindex
    Webster's 1913 DictionaryUmmm, lots of words have changed, gone away, been added since 1913. My 2000+ page Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language (1989) contains skeg, but has no entry for skag. So, I recommend skeg unless you're talking to an old salt who was boating in 1913.
    Happy boating!

rrrr
    Originally posted by RatherBeInLHC
    Ummm, lots of words have changed, gone away, been added since 1913. My 2000+ page Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language (1989) contains skeg, but has no entry for skag. So, I recommend skeg unless you're talking to an old salt who was boating in 1913.
    Happy boating!
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh, ye lubber. Weigh anchor or I'll give ye a taste of the cap'n's daughter.

uvindex
    I'll take door #2 (cap'n's daughter) please.

Mandelon
    Too funny you guys picked this up. Ever since I've known boats and surfed its always been skeg. Skeg is right.
    "Skag" is a grommet term that means "I am stupid and don't know the proper terms for surfboard parts."
    I can see that Skag could be a shortened version of skank + hag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast