Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I return these pistons?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    it won't ping at 10 to 1 on 87 octane with alittle timing adjustment. i'd rather spend another 40-50 bucks and have more compression.just bumping it up to 10 to 1 will give more bang for your buck and can still use 87 octane.runnin flat tops will still allow for small nitrous shot or low boost blower.
    This man is right! I would get ones with a little more comp. Its free horsepower! Cut the timming down and run her on 91 Why are you worried about gas prices???? If your having a blast does it really matter :idea: :idea:?????? .20 cents per gallon for 91 octane. Say you have a total of 25 gallons. That would be $5 more on your total gas bill to have more ponies. More ponies = more speed That means that you pay less for more hp. Some guys pay $2000.00 and up for more hp.Think about it......
    I was in that decision at one point in time. I had 9.5-1 pistons and ended up with 12.5-1 compression. I spent $400 in avgas last year during labor day weekend. Do you think I regret that bill?? Hell no!!! I had so much fun
    Im not trying to change your decision one bit. Im just trying to put it into perspective for ya

steelcomp
    Put it in the motor and run it. It's nothing to worry about. If you want to smooth it out, take some 120G paper to it, but for what you're doing, I wouldn't even bother.
    Just my .02

Flip
    I am down the street from the warehouse/store here in Reno. Should I go kick em' in the a$$ for ya?
    Yes, yes you should! DAMMIT :crossx:
    N8! Sup man? I'm hoping I dont have send them back more than once. I'm running the Ka heads. I don't know what the chamber size is. As soon as I get the motor together I'll send ya some pics with those motor mounts you gave me. Thanks again.
    Another thing I didnt mention was two of the pistons had marks on them like someone took a framing hammer to them. Little square pits in the top of the pistons.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Another thing I didnt mention was two of the pistons had marks on them like someone took a framing hammer to them. Little square pits in the top of the pistons.
    Screw that! I would be sending them back. If I pay for an item thats NEW then I want it new. Not used,old,misused,mispackaged,etc. Atleast get a new set.....
    Peace of mind=priceless......

Flip
    Ok, I went ahead and called Summit and another set are on the way. I'm paranoid about building another motor so I want to try for another set.
    396- Man, I hear what you're sayin, but we really do use our boat for mainly for skiing. So that means lots of pulling out of the hole with skiers over and over with 40 gallons of gas and atleast 4 people in a 21' '77 daycruiser. I dunno. As long as it doesn't ping like a biatch.....
    I looked online. I guess the Ka heads have a 80cc chamber. According to Summit, that put me at 9.43:1. Not too bad I guess.

Flip
    Screw that! I would be sending them back. If I pay for an item thats NEW then I want it new. Not used,old,misused,mispackaged,etc. Atleast get a new set.....
    Peace of mind=priceless......
    Exactly what I'm thinkin. I wonder if they got hit the forging press or something? Weird.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok, I went ahead and called Summit and another set are on the way. I'm paranoid about building another motor so I want to try for another set.
    396- Man, I hear what you're sayin, but we really do use our boat for mainly for skiing. So that means lots of pulling out of the hole with skiers over and over with 40 gallons of gas and atleast 4 people in a 21' '77 daycruiser. I dunno. As long as it doesn't ping like a biatch.....
    I looked online. I guess the Ka heads have a 80cc chamber. According to Summit, that put me at 9.43:1. Not too bad I guess.
    Then your all good I just didnt want to read the thread about how it blew up because of the pistons. Im just looking out for a fellow jetter

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Exactly what I'm thinkin. I wonder if they got hit the forging press or something? Weird.
    Whatever it is, somebody made a mistake and the person packing them just thought "maybe they will just use them". You paid, expect the right schit Im glad you have another set comming That makes me feel better for ya
    396"tha concerned boater"

Put it in the motor and run it. It's nothing to worry about. If you want to smooth it out, take some 120G paper to it, but for what you're doing, I wouldn't even bother.
    Just my .02
    I agree 100%. If concerned buy a better quality piston.

myoung
    Damn dude, those look like crap.
    I dunno, seems like almost all the parts houses are getting lazy, parts manufacturers are getting lazy, machine shops are getting lazy, it's getting to the point where there wont be much of a chance for a guy to build his own shit pretty soon. Nobody seems to care about quality control or customer service anymore. :argue:
    Oh well, bitch and moan, bitch and moan.
    Lets just hope this one stays together when it's done.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast