Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starters One after the other

Shark In The Pond
    Tired of putting them in and getting costly since a stock one won't turn it . Whats the secret ...new bell housing with the starter at the top ?

572Daytona
    Mine's at the top, but when there is water in the boat, the flywheel will pick it up into the starter anyway. I have to have mine rebuilt every 2 or 3 years. I don't replace, just find an automotive electric place in your area that can rebuild it for you. It costs about $65 or so for a rebuild.

Squirtin Thunder
    If you spend the money on a marine starter it may help because of the shielding. I have mine on top and a spare down low. You just never know. My main starter is a prestolite and they run somewhere around $350 spare is about $35-$50.
    Jim

bigpapasean
    It takes quit a few stock starters to justifie three hundred and forty dollars fore a chrome top mount starter.

Jet Hydro
    If a Stock one wont turn it you`v got problems. I can start all of mine on stock BIG Block Starters all day long. I have some pretty high HP motors just to let you know. The smallest one is in excess of 750hp. Make sure you get a starter for a 1 ton truck with a big block and you should be fine. Try telling your parts man you have a 1979-1ton truck.

SPECTRABRENT
    Try a gear reduction starter.
    R&B in Parker, AZ.
    Brent

Squirtin Thunder
    That Prestolite starter is black. I think the chrome one is another $150.

bigpapasean
    Originally posted by Squirtin Thunder
    That Prestolite starter is black. I think the chrome one is another $150.
    ThatÂ’s just focking crazy

NorCal Gameshow
    Originally posted by manuel
    Thursday my 5 month old starter fell to pieces, gear reduction marine,http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...50DCP01683.JPG
    Friday my rebuilder called and said it was ready, new housing and bearing, he felt sorry for all the bad luck I've been having and when I asked how much he said $25. FINALLY something good happens
    is it shimmed properly?

Fiat48
    I have a top mount starter bell housing for a Chevy. It's brand new and polished and 1/2 the price of a new one if you decide to go that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast