Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another drive question?

andy01
    I am finally going to call GT tomorrow to take my boat back and have my XR put back on it. At the sametime I am going to talk to Gary about a different drive. I don't want to put a drive on my boat every year. Keep in mind when my drive went it took the Gimble housing and all kinds of shit out with it. Is there a drive I can put on my boat that will take the 740hp it puts out now and the 1000 plus I was planning on doing later? Or is it only a number six that can take the power. I am thinking if I can't put a drive on it that is going to take the power then it is time to start with a new boat. DCB of course but not with an XR, I got about 30 hours out my XR, if that. I know the Imco's break all the time to. Arneson? Help!
    Andy

roln 20s
    I know that Howard worked in conjunction with Arneson on a drive for a 26 foot cat with a HP500 (couldn't find the pic). It ran the same speed as the Bravo, but apparently the owner just wanted it anyway. It looked mean, and I have been told it is undestructable. Not sure on the price, but definatly something that can be done. The drive issue is definately one reason I would stray away from the high HP, and the arneson or the wiesman may be a good alternative.
    Roln 20s

Rock-it man
    Originally posted by racingrascal
    I am finally going to call GT tomorrow to take my boat back and have my XR put back on it. At the sametime I am going to talk to Gary about a different drive. I don't want to put a drive on my boat every year. Keep in mind when my drive went it took the Gimble housing and all kinds of shit out with it. Is there a drive I can put on my boat that will take the 740hp it puts out now and the 1000 plus I was planning on doing later? Or is it only a number six that can take the power. I am thinking if I can't put a drive on it that is going to take the power then it is time to start with a new boat. DCB of course but not with an XR, I got about 30 hours out my XR, if that. I know the Imco's break all the time to. Arneson? Help!
    Andy
    I ran the New IMCO 4x4 Drive on a Datona 26 with a blown 598 with a 1471 blower and had no problems with 1000 hp.When I changed to a quadrotor whipple and bumped the boost (15lbs) and 1200 hp I couldnt keep a drive on it.to make a long story short,I have a weisman Drive being built and am selling my Imco 4x4.its at Imco now being gone through now,as I want to sell a rebuilt drive with the standoff box and trans,it will bolt up to any bravo setup with no eng changes,call imco and talk to them. I will sell the complete setup for $ 15,000.00 you can email me at
    rockitman1@charter.net if interested. I will be headed to Costa Mesa this week to get my new drive put on.
    Thanks Wayne aka ROCKIT MAN

FastTimmy
    What's involed with putting the weisman Drive on where you had a bravo?
    A budy of mine is putting the arnison on his 22 datona. He bought the conversion kit off one of the web sites. They say it is indisrutcable but we will see. Best as he can tell he will need to lower the engine in the 22 a few inches to make it all line up. For him it is no problem he has over the transome exhaust but for me it is a big hang up. Do you need to move your engine to do the conversion?
    Timmy

andy01
    Originally posted by FastTimmy
    What's involed with putting the weisman Drive on where you had a bravo?
    Do you need to move your engine to do the conversion?
    Timmy
    There is a write up on a Formula 38 in Power Boat this month that they did the swap on. One of the things was lowering the motors in the boat. The cost that Power Boat printed was 50K to swap out two bravos to Arnesons. I think I am going to keep what I have and see what I run across.
    Andy

DrewDown
    Originally posted by Rock-it man
    I ran the New IMCO 4x4 Drive on a Datona 26 with a blown 598 with a 1471 blower and had no problems with 1000 hp.When I changed to a quadrotor whipple and bumped the boost (15lbs) and 1200 hp I couldnt keep a drive on it.to make a long story short,I have a weisman Drive being built and am selling my Imco 4x4.its at Imco now being gone through now,as I want to sell a rebuilt drive with the standoff box and trans,it will bolt up to any bravo setup with no eng changes,call imco and talk to them. I will sell the complete setup for $ 15,000.00 you can email me at
    rockitman1@charter.net if interested. I will be headed to Costa Mesa this week to get my new drive put on.
    Thanks Wayne aka ROCKIT MAN
    Wayne lets meet up and see how that drive works out in the ocean.

Craig
    Hey Andy, you can get an Arneson conversion kit for about $15K. Doesn't look too complicated to change over. Only draw back is if your center pod is notched, that typically has to be filled in. That was the downside of doing the conversiion on mine.

RACER52
    not only do you have to fill in the center pod and lower the engine you lose drivability around the marina and docks. thought about the same dealio but decided it wasnt a pure race boat and the Imco Sc would keep
    the boat user friendly.

andy01
    One thing that was brought to my attention today also was resale value. Not only are you in a limited crowed when selling a 100k boat but now it is real small if you have a drive that nobody wants.
    Andy

gmocnik
    take that xr drive out to jason and aaron at max machine worx.
    1000 plus hp in my daytona and no issues.
    no need to mess around with surface drives...4x4 ...etc.
    call them, you will be glad you did..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast