Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ride Plates

Bob Hostetter
    Am I correct in assuming that ride plates for jets work the same way as cav plates on a v-drive? If so, why are they usually only under the bowl/nozzle and not all the way across the hull? Also why aren't they setup with an override pedal?
    Thanks...........

This one's been discussed in pretty good detail here.
    Rideplate discussion (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...itation+plates)

moneysucker
    No, they do not provide lift on the rear to bring down the attitude of the boat. A ride plate is extended area for the boat to ride on and should be set around 2 degrees up from the keel as a base line. Ideally the boat should be riding on the intake and the ride plate. I am sure that there will be more details to come.

Bob Hostetter
    So, If I understand you right they act as a pad for the boat to run on. Probably in combination with the intake?
    If you set the boat up free enough to get out of the water at top end speeds wouldn't a cav plate give you extra control in getting the hull on plane quicker, and control porpuising at lower speeds? You could also use the down pedal the same way as on a flat to set the boat at launch, then roll off the pedal lifting the cav plate and letting it set on the ride plate as speed increased?
    I suppose you could do the same thing with a flexible ride plate that in its natural state was several degrees down but as speed increased it would be forced upward. You would have to fab up a mechincal stop to limit upward flex but you would lose the ability to override the plate forcing the nose down. Would probably be a real pain to dail in.........You would have to control the flex rate by material thickness but it could be done.
    This is what happens when you take an early retirement and need a new toy to play with...........

riverbound
    Doesn't a diverter do all the stuff you are trying to do?

MudPumper
    Originally posted by Bob Hostetter
    wouldn't a cav plate give you extra control in getting the hull on plane quicker, and control porpuising at lower speeds? You could also use the down pedal the same way as on a flat to set the boat at launch, then roll off the pedal lifting the cav plate and letting it set on the ride plate as speed increased?
    We just use Diverters for all of that.

Bob Hostetter
    I used to have a Eliminator 19' picklefork that I put a Divertor on and lost some speed as a result. The divertor, especially with a droop snout, is always dragging in the water causing fiction. It seems if you set the intake/pump/snout/nozzle/ride plate angle for best top end and used a cav plate setup with a down pedal you could have the best of both worlds. The cav plate would be pretty much out of the water when fully up at top speed eliminating the additional drag.
    Plus I like the ability to instantly override with a pedal, must be from my old flatbottom days......
    I am mostly concerned with 0-60mph times with a top speed in the 90's, but I want something that is very controllable.

There are some other innovators that post up here.................try it out and let us know how it works.

BrendellaJet
    Perhaps the boat you had the droop and diverter on only needed the diverter? If you just put the diverter on it should not be dragging in the water and would be above the ride plate. Of course you could put the cav plates on, there have been a few online lately, but they are pricey to build. Id put a diverter on it and go play on the water...

Beal Motorsports
    On our older texas tunnel we eliminated the droop and went with a rooster booster. Picked up several mph.
    Same setup on our Placecraft, rooster booster, diverter. This was also how they ran it in top fuel. Plus withthe placecraft since the pump is set back so far, the rear of the boat has cavitation plates that are adjustable, just not from with in the boat. We talked to Ray Lumbert, owner of it when it was a fuel boat, and he said to check the plates. They were way out! We set the plates at 1/8" up at the rear of the plate from the bottom of the boat. Made a world of difference. Easier to carry the nose a bit higher.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast