Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ride Plates

1Bahnerjet
    Originally posted by Bob Hostetter
    Am I correct in assuming that ride plates for jets work the same way as cav plates on a v-drive? If so, why are they usually only under the bowl/nozzle and not all the way across the hull? Also why aren't they setup with an override pedal?
    Thanks...........
    just thought to add a pic. to hostetter's Question (mainly because the Boat looks Bitchin')
    http://dragboats.com/images/classifi...goins_mike.jpg

pops1
    Originally posted by Beal Motorsports
    On our older texas tunnel we eliminated the droop and went with a rooster booster. Picked up several mph.
    Same setup on our Placecraft, rooster booster, diverter. This was also how they ran it in top fuel. Plus withthe placecraft since the pump is set back so far, the rear of the boat has cavitation plates that are adjustable, just not from with in the boat. We talked to Ray Lumbert, owner of it when it was a fuel boat, and he said to check the plates. They were way out! We set the plates at 1/8" up at the rear of the plate from the bottom of the boat. Made a world of difference. Easier to carry the nose a bit higher. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT ONE! i I don't think what you say is not what happened. A roost boost is a hard abrupt angle change causing water to crash into the walls in order to make the transistion change demanded by the 7 degree angle bend in a very very short distance. What I think maybe did happen is you were dragging the droop causing you the problem, and the outcome is the drag exceeded the harsh bend of the roost. Sorry to disagree. I do know it was pulled off the old going place's for a smoother transistion.

Beal Motorsports
    On the texas tunnel it made a difference.........
    NOT on the placecraft.
    On the placecraft, we bought it with the booster already on it. and have not changed a thing except wedge it down a bit from losing the capsule weight.
    The texas tunnel results shown on the time clocks made us gain 6-7 mph on the same tune at several race courses. But your right it could be from less drag.

Bob Hostetter
    The boat in the picture was basicially what I was talking about. I wonder how he/she used the plates? My thinking is that you can use them to force the nose to roll over faster and get the hull to take a set quicker. I think your 0-60mph times are going to be quicker if you can get the boat to take a set quicker, get on plane faster and moving forward instead of upward.
    Guess I am just going to have to do it myself and find out.....

AZKC
    Lenco makes some electric(Servos) non hydraulics trim tabs. Ck them out on Overtons website

Beal Motorsports
    Bob, just call the owner of the Ahhhsum Toy boat. It is posted on Dragboats.com maybe he can answer your questions?

Bob Hostetter
    Thanks for all the input guys. Beal, good idea, I will see if I can send him an email. If he answers I will let you guys know what he said......

Bense468
    The plates are to roll the boat over Bob. The pump on that boat is fixed (wedged) up with the plate to override. To be honest this is not needed with todays technology. Most jet boats 99% don't run a down pedel. This boat is a cole. I have seen a few others this way and most were cole's as well. Its more hardware in the way that is not really needed in a jet. Wouldn't want to get on the plates too hard in a tunnel would you?
    So the question really is do you want to be different? It won't be something new because it has been done and for a long time (back in the jet circle days) but you would be different then most. Hope that helps
    The real question is why is that blower sitting on an edelbrock tunnel ram?

Bob Hostetter
    <<rolling the boat over>>
    Thats what I thought they were for, and that was what I was thinking of using them for. Yea it seems like a lot of work but I still like the idea.
    Tunnels like the Daytona (at least in the early 1980's) had a blow over problem and several guys were playing with wings on the nose to get control of it. I am wondering if the cav plates could be used the same way by slightly lifting the tail and blowing the air out and leveraging the bow down. You are right about being carefull about getting too hard on the down pedal but you can help control that by working with the different activator lever ratios and setting up a overtravel stop.
    By having a way to roll the nose over with the cav plates you have the ability to set the ride plate up very loose for maxi speed on perfect water, and still have a usable setup for cruising and rough water. Oh course this is all based of my experience with flatbottoms, not jets. Like several people have mentioned most people are using a place divertor for the same thing but I don't care for the way they work or look. I do like the way cav plates look and work ( must be the flatty thing again) assuming I can get them to do what I want them to do.
    I probably should just buy another flat bottom but my kids want something to run on the river with and I don't to be buying more props and prop shafts. Our Hallet cruiser v-drive is great but not over sandbars, and in shallow water.......lol. If I can figure out a way to setup a decent jet we would have the best of both worlds.
    Last question, has anybody tried running a 2 speed with a jet? I have a left over shorty PG that I am not sure what to do with......

cyclone
    although it looks to be a costly setup, i like the idea of having a down pedal. I dont think it would work out so well if you kept a diverter on the boat. Too many things operate at once.
    One of the hardest things for me to overcome while driving is getting my boat to holeshot without having it bounce out of the hole.
    I've tried launching with the diverter all the way down which does eliminate the bounce, but then the boat plows through the water, killing the holeshot.
    I"ve tried launching with the diverter in the middle but then i have to gently roll the boat over, land it and the mash the gas.
    In either instance, my 1/2 track times were not ideal.
    I've found that it takes a lot of practice to be able to roll the boat over quickly, get it to set without bouncing and then take off but it does happen.
    The smart guys with expendable amounts of cash rely on a launch controller to handle the engine RPM and a slick timer setup for the diverter. Takes some of the guesswork and human error out of it I guess.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast