Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ride Plates

mach1alaska
    On the subject of cav plates on jet boats, my 18' kona has built in cav plates from the factory . They are flush with the bottom of the boat , the hardware in the back of the boat is still there(inside not outside the boat) but all the controlls have been removed. is anyone familiar with this setup And would it be worth designing and reinstalling controlls to use it?
    my thought was to wedge my fixed race nozzle up and use the cav plates to controll launch and make it ski able when needed.
    the boat has a 12JR pump w/ shoe , rideplate and droop snoot. or should I just leave them disconnected an buy a diverter.
    I am concerned about loosing speed with a diverter because of the drag of the reverse passage (my current nozzle has reverse in the bucket rather than the nozzle )

cyclone
    got any pics of the back of your boat, mach1?

Wally_Gator
    My cousing used to run the drags in his tunnel jet.
    Talking to him, he used ride plates mentioned earlier.
    His jet was wedged to the tune where he could get the best speed. The plate on launch would be down to get up on plane a take a set and as he launched he would let off of the pedal until he was completely off of it.
    He was chasing drag records in the late 80's and early 90's until his boat was stolen. Then he moved onto cars..

mach1alaska
    lets try this

mach1alaska
    or this

mach1alaska

cyclone
    it's a shame the parts are missing. i'd love to hear how well it works.

BrendellaJet
    Very interesting Mach1. How long have you had the boat? I wonder if it came stock like that? My Jet has the recesses for plates, but I figured it was because the bottom was from a hondo mold(or so I've deductively reasoned...)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0_0600-med.JPG

Bob Hostetter
    So it seems this idea has been around for a while, and has worked with at least some success. I guess I am not a complete idiot.........
    I will have to try it, after all its just money, and thats what boats run on, right

mach1alaska
    I have not had the boat too long but I bought it from a friend that owned it for about 15 years, they were disconnected when he bought the boat. I am quite sure they were installed at the factory, they are molded into the hull and sit flush.
    they sit fairly far outboard so they would be most effective at lower speeds . being out of the area that should be in contact with the water at speed they might even help the hull trap air?? just a thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast