Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats my rig worth?

JROCK
    Hi all,
    Heres my story in short.... I bought this boat off of my dad just a few months back. It had always been a great boat (past 8 seasons), but the last time out I think I either spun a bearing or broke a rod (horribkle noise and engine shaking around). Either way the engine is going to need rebuilding. I am thinking of rebuilding it but I am also currenlty trying to buy a home (recent college grad broke etc..) So I was wondering what this rig might be worth with the understanding that bottom end of the engine at least needs rebuidling. In the pics shes pretty dusty as none of the pictures I took outside after cleaning her up came out ;/ so please keep in mind the gel is actually in really good shape. The boat would come with everything pictured, life 8 life jackets (4 that are very nice ski jackets, water skis& ropes, cleaning supplies, trailer etc.
    The make is eliminator and its 21'. Also the bimini top is colored just like the seats only in opposite patern. Please help me out and let me a know a fair price for the rig so I can determine if I should sell this and buy a boat later on in life or just eat the cost of a new engine now and enjoy the river as soon as next season.
    THanks for your help!
    whoops almost forgot links to pics
    http://www.csupomona.edu/~jfspindler/boat/

MudPumper
    What Year is the boat and what model is it?? Looks really clean.

JROCK
    yes it is really clean
    sorry its an 89 eliminator 21' 455 olds berkely jet
    I dont even know the model....... the registration just says ski/bass runabout

superdave013
    I'd say it's worth less then half what it would be running.
    Nice looking boat. Fix the ol' girl man.

JROCK
    forgive my ignorance but any idea what it would be worth if it was running.. I have looked all around on boat trader and haven’t really seen anything comparable...
    thanks!

victorfb
    i dont want to insult you or anything, but used boat prices are very low to begin with. its a nice boat for sure, and a good hull manufacturer aswell, but with a blown engine and even worse a blown oldsmobile engine, im sorry to say its not going to get you much. i wish i could help you with a definative value, but at this point its how much its worth to you and or to someone looking for a project. if i was forced to give a value, id offer you $2000 and you sell off the ski's and goodies. i would do a swap to a BBC or ford at this point. its costly, but that hull warants the upgrade. the olds may be rebuildable and thats what i would suggest you look into before selling it. unless of course you just dont want to take on a project with a motor swap, or invest in a rebuild. tough decission for sure. if it inhibits you buying a house id say sell the boat for sure. boats are NOT an investment for money, but a hell of an investment for fun.
    oh, and please dont take that price as fair value. i have no idea what its worth. i just gave an opinion of what I would offer as an idividual off the street. you may actually find a buyer that has been looking for that exact boat. you just never know.

Hate to say it, but victor's assessment is probably spot on.
    If I were going to buy a boat that I knew I was going to have to spend money on immediately after buying (even for a stock rebuild) I wouldn't give ya much for it, no matter how good the rest of the boat looked.
    P.S. those are some hugeass'd pictures there!
    Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

HavasuDreamin'
    I can not fathom why Eliminator put 455 olds in their boats after about 1975..............1989 and a 455? Jeez.....
    If the boat had a solid BBC or BBF and was in good shape all around, you could probably fetch $10K or so +/- out of it! Nice boat.............ditch the 455!
    My $.02

68 Schuster
    Nice boat. If you plan to sell it as is, I would be interested. I rebuilt my olds but won't be putting it back in the hull from which it came.

WriedtStuff
    Put it on Ebay....it should sell and that is a good why to determine it's value...just be honest in your description.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast