Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV shopping. What should I buy/avoid in a 52"

wsm9808
    I'm shopping for a 52" to fit over our fireplace mantle.
    I havent bought a TV in 15 years and dont really care about the newest hottest gotta have it crap. Looking for the best picture and longest trouble free life.
    I have heard the LCDs are the way to go and that the plasmas are breaking down. What is the real deal?

Trailer Park Casanova
    Sony Bravia LCD from COSTCO

brianthomas
    I bought three LCD sets last year. Two were for the boat, 19 inch and 13 inch. One for the bedroom was a 32 inch. None of the three made it four months.

HocusPocus
    Sony Bravia LCD from COSTCO
    A second for Sony and a second for Costco. The first Sony tv i bought lasted for 17 years and you can't beat Costco's return policy

racecar.hotshoe
    I have a 50'' plasma I was going to put it above the fireplace but I didnt know what the heat would do to it.?

Jyruiz
    I'm shopping for a 52" to fit over our fireplace mantle.
    I havent bought a TV in 15 years and dont really care about the newest hottest gotta have it crap. Looking for the best picture and longest trouble free life.
    I have heard the LCDs are the way to go and that the plasmas are breaking down. What is the real deal?
    Basically, you get what you pay for. You want it to last, get a name brand that has been around for a while, wether plasma or LCD. In the 52" arena, you will only see LCD's, if you have a lot of light in the room and you will be sitting in front of the set, then get and LCD. The viewing angles of LCD are not as good as plasma. If you can control the light and want a better picture, go with plasma.

Jyruiz
    I have a 50'' plasma I was going to put it above the fireplace but I didnt know what the heat would do to it.?
    Hard to tell with out knowing exactly how hot it gets above the fireplace.

phebus
    We had ours above the fireplace at our last house. The mantel stopped the convected current from traveling straight up to where it was mounted, and it didn't get very warm up there. Plus, it was one of the zero clearance type of fireplaces, and they aren't very good at projecting heat out into the room anyway. More for looks then heat.
    Never had any problems.

Jordan_23_85205
    I have a 50" Pioneer Elite above my fireplace and I've had no issues. It's been there for 3 years now.
    I think the question would be how often do you use your fireplace? I turn mine on 2-3 times a week from Dec thru Feb. Then it's off for 9 months.
    I'll send you a picture if you want to see?
    K

franky
    LG 50" plasma in the bedroom...it is just a beautiful picture.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast