Protect this nation from what?
Are you serious? 6 years man, SIX friggin years and no attacks on US soil. Just how do you think that's been possible?
Someone's doing something right.
John, you need to realize there's an age old conflict going on around the world. It centers around Israelis and the Arabs in Palestine. Every attack or bombing in the name of "jihad" or Islam is a DIRECT extension of that conflict. Believe it or not, this "war" probably isn't going to end anytime in the near future especially if you study the history of the conflict and get to know it. It is arguable that all human history has revolved around it in some form or another. What we have experienced on 9/11 is just an intensification of that conflict ie overt warfare on OUR soil. Beating back these radical Islamists, wherever that may be, is the only logical response to keep them at a minmum. It's been going on many, many centuries. It's been slowed, at times, most notably after WWI. The collapse of the Ottoman empire was a victory for the west.
I would highly recommend 'The Crisis of Islam' by Bernard Lewis. Not an easy read but you can get an audio book version from iTunes. It's only about 6 or so hours.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1190870839
I you haven't already, take a look at 'Obsession'. Do a google video search. There's a short 39 minute version of it.
Is the US safer as a result of the war in Iraq? Like the General answered " I don't know"
Stupid response. That goes without saying.
Democrats and Republicans alike, want this war over ASAP.
Uhh... not all.
Concerning "Bush's administration turning the lights off to a republican president" you said you're leaning towards the republican side in 08. To that I say ...
I still don't know where you get off blaming Bush for this.