All large corporations were started as small businesses by poor folks with a vision and a dream. If you classify a desire to improve yourself and your standing as greed, then so be it.
Even those born or married into wealth (Kennedy's, Heinz, Pelosi, etc) got there by their family's starting small and building their empire.
If I make widgets in my garage and go sell them door to door I am a small businessman. If I make good widgets and they sell well, I'll have to hire someone to sell them while I make them. If my demand overwhelms what I can make, I'll have to hire someone to help me build them. As the widgets become more popular, I'll have to move out of my garage and into a factory to build widgets and hire more people. Then I'll have to hire someone to maintain the widget machines, and people for widget support. Then more sales people to sell widgets.
I might open a widget retail store, hiring more people. The widget store grows into a chain of widget stores, and I'll have to diversify and buy other companies and products to compliment the widgets in the widget store.
I'll open up overseas offices to supply widgets to the world. Now I have hundreds, if not thousands of direct employees, not to mention the indirect employees, such as the folks who supply raw materials for my widgets, the delivery/trucking companies who deliver those raw materials and my widgets. The machine companies who make machines to build my widgets, etc. etc. etc.
And so on, and so on. Eventually I'll grow into a multi-national widget corporation, and I'll be worth millions.
Now is that "greed", as opposed to if I just stayed in my garage making widgets and selling them door to door?
You're right, as always. Are you ever wrong, Alan? There is no greed in big business or big govt., nope
I have an idea. Why not make big business and the wealthy tax exempt. Even lower prices and more jobs for us little guys to pay the taxes. :2purples:
If you classify a desire to improve yourself and your standing as greed, then so be it.
Did I say this somewhere? Please don't twist my words.
If the "wealthy" could retain more of their earnings, they could provide more jobs, higher salaries for their employees, and lower costs for goods and services. That would increase the economy and the quality of life for all involved.
What they could do and what they do aren't necessarily the same.