I was just thinking of when I've helped someone boating,, and it came back in Diamonds.
Once I was on approach to Avalon Harbor, and in the middle of the San Pedro Channel was a stray rental boat from Joe's Rent A boat in Avalon. Obviously broke loose in the night and the tide carried it out to sea.
I towed it back (after calling him first), and on occasion when there are no moarings available, he ties us up for free.
Helped a swordfish boat fix his freezer (for free) after the captain had fits with others trying. They were really helpfull sometime later when I was hit by a waverunner in Avalon.
Once we were heading to Two Harbors and noticed a nice Monterey floating, the passengers waveing their arms over their heads.
We cruised up to it and it turned out the teenagers on board had borrowed it without the dads (who was outta town) permission.
The kids, 3 boys 4 girls, stopped to look at a whale, and the boat wouldn't re-start. Dead batteries. No radio, no gps, no cellphone, nothing.
They wanted us to tow them 22+ miles back to Huntington, but I said; "nope,, it's off to Catalina (2 miles) for you guys,, and maybe you outta call your dad, because if you don't, the Sheriff in Two Harbors will."
It turned out OK, the Dad was pissed deluxe, the mom was a report card kind of mom and was really angry and scary, but they were gratefull of the assistance we gave.
It doesn't take much to lend a hand. We'll only tow someone if the conditions are safe, and like Boatcop suggests, let the Coast Guard Auxillary handle it if they're around, but would certainly take on passengers if the conditions weren't.
Man I'd be pissed if my son pulled a stunt like that. But what I got back from that experience is that I'm sure he wouldn't. I've taught him to be responsible and considerate. So with that thought, maybe I'm not such a bad parent after all. [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939Picture_5-thumb.jpg[/img]
[ August 09, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]