Originally posted by Fricky:
Cobra98,
I believe that Essex can provide you with a big block engine. On the Essex web site at www.essexboats.com (http://www.essexboats.com) they have a photo album of boat owners. One day I browsed through all the boat owners and I believe that I saw a 21 sterling with a big block. I remember they took a picture of the engine with the engine cover up.
I think that the only thing you loose on the big block is handling and performance. The 21 essex with a 350 bravo 3 should pull you out of the water fine. You may want to call Essex about that but my opinion is that you would be fine.
Hi Fricky, Why do you believe that the perfomance would be impared? It would seem to me that if you make a minimum of a 75hp jump to the 496 that you should pick up 5 Mph in top end with such a relatively light hull such as the Sterling or even the Vortex which is only 6inches longer.
The handling I could see somewhat given that their is going to be a 200Lb difference between the engines, but that doesnt seem that signifigant.
One option that has been considered is the
377 Scorpion, but it seems to me that you wouldnt be able to push the performance much past the 350-360 Hp level on a high reving small block.
Anyone have an opinion on this one?