Hello, new to forum and boats actually. I don't have anything special or fast, just something to have fun on as it's my first boat. I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri 3.0L, that my father and I completely rebuilt. New, gimbal housing, bearing, rebuilt lower unit, re-did the motor, interior, etc.. Ran great last summer. Put it on the lake this summer and when I put pressure on the prop there is a clunking noise. I only get one clunk noise when i come out of the hole shot or when I round corners. Noise almost sounds like there is a gap between the prop and the prop nut, and the prop is slamming againest the nut. Checked nut-tight, tried different prop (to see if prop hub has flat spot)- nothing.
So I called the boat dealership they said it's either the gears in the lower unit are bad (rebuilt last year-so figuring that's not it), or they said it's the clutch bearing or whatever.
My father seems to think it's just cavitating, boats don't cavitate when coming out of hole shot do they?
PLEASE HELP, before I sink a but load of money into it. Thanks Randy in upstate NY