Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying a used boat & have a couple of quick stereo questions...

77charger
    OLE HH aint hip to people having longer radio time then him.That is why he is anti 6 volt.BTW HH i just got back from glamis my 6volts did another fine job Lasted all weekend runing heater,inverter,etc.

One Particular Harbor
    Just testing my profile and avatar...

Tom Brown
    6v versus 12v? All of the systems you're talking about end up delivering 12 volts. A battery's ability to source power comes down to choice and volume of materials in the reactive cell, as well as the design of the cells. Voltage just comes down to how many cells are linked together in series.
    If I were designing a system that could play for long periods of time on battery power, I would use a single 12 volt battery (like an Optima) to power all accessories except power amplifiers. For the amps, I would look at powering them with three 6 volt batteries in series. Any decent amp will live happily at 18 volts and will play until that 18 volt system drops down to around 10 volts. That's a ton more headroom than you will have in a 12 volt system that will stop playing at 10 volts.
    Amps need to be able to run at 14.5 volts since a lot of charging systems run at that and if you look at the specs, a lot of amps are rated when running well above 14.5 volts anyway. 18 volts isn't pushing them much beyond their comfort zone, although they will source more power so it will be easier to overrun their ability to dissipate heat.

ROZ
    1stepcloser ran his amps a 18 volts once, once.

Tom Brown
    I've run quite a few amps at 20v on the bench but I haven't done that in the era of Class D amps. It might be best to make sure the amp is under warrantee before trying it.

Hustler
    Holy Crap!! I just read this thread and man does my head hurt now

1stepcloser
    Originally posted by ROZ
    1stepcloser ran his amps a 18 volts once, once.

And I can do it again, as I now know the secret.
    However, while the amp can run at 18v, I wont suggest letting it do so for any length of time.....that trick is for the dB drag guys.
    Batteries.....I have three Optimas, red ones at that. I have them on a single Perko switch, two in parallel that feed the amps, the other powers the boat including the head unit. This past Sunday, I played for approx. 4 hours of non stop music at high levels, and when it was time to go, no problemo, a quick look at the voltage gauge indicated 11.7v.
    I left the Perko on "all".
    Now, I understand this isnt the same as "all day and into the night", but it did represent, to me, that I should not have any trouble with batteries this summer.
    It's really pretty simple, increasing resistance will slow current flow, thereby increasing the time it takes to empty the energy store.
    P.S. I also run a pair of capacitors. I believe in them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234