Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop to Cavitation plate Distance??

BILLY.B
    Billy, thanks for your response. The horsepower is approximately 825. It is a bow tie 495 inch with dart 320's , roller , 14.5-1 comp. Single dominator. running on 116 octane. LeE ss13 thanks for your post also , is there a formula for that figure or just a hell of a lot of trial and error and experience. You said the the v-drive is now in at 96". Where's the engine in at???. My strut to the back of the cav plate is 31". I stand corrected on the strut to the transom. Mines at 21", plus a 10" plate= the 31"#. I would ck the control arm to make sure it's not slipping on the transom bar (worn out keyway or sloppy control arm if it's aluminum), MORE SPRING PRESSURE!!!!, and proper plate setting. As far as your HP goes i'd still stay with the 7" to 9" plate . A buddy of mine has the twin turbo small block Biesemeyer that has been on these boards in picture form. He had terrible handling problems before we did a complete make-over. Moved the engine forward 12" and then I had him shorten the plates from 11" to 7" and walla a hole new animal was born. Boat ran around 105 out of control and went up to 121 on gps and stable after the re-due. Of course there was some bottom work done but i'd say the major deal was the engine placement and cav plates. Oh his HP is 875.

Thunderbutt
    Hi jimmy, did you get the pictures I sent? Did you like the butt shot? Kyle is a good photographer, maybe we can hire him..........Does anyone think an old ambulance tow rig is over the wall??? I have a 1963 Belair 409 one for sale......How about it JD? :notam:
    Do remember the Mortician? and it was black

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    MORE SPRING PRESSURE!!!!, and proper plate setting.
    Well Jimmy D, its not like you haven't heard this suggestion before! :notam:
    Billy, JD uses rubberbands to hold his cavitation plates up. :devil:
    JD, Are you trying to duplicate the B' boat set up on the Hondo????? I thought you were selling that boat???
    Billy obviously has solid advise and Moneypitt crews on one of Billy's old boats so your in good hands there....FOR YOUR BIESEMEYER!!!
    I can't believe I got out of Washington without a good woodshed beating. :messedup:
    Jerry

biesemeyer34
    v-drive Do you know the other way to use rubber bands, ---farmer/ranchers use them on young male bulls to control their sex drive completely. Go ahead and bitch about my spring pressure but still think there are other adjustments I should be addressing.. Billy, my engine is out 35 inches and I just measured and the barrel to back of cavitation plate is 28.5 inches. The plate is 10 inches instead to 11 and I have enough plate behind the bosses to cut off 2 inches easy. I know jerry's plate is only 9 inches but he has never really bragged on how his hondo sprint sets and proforms. Jjimmy D

boatguy222
    [ Go ahead and bitch about my spring pressure but still think there are other adjustments I should be addressing.. Jjimmy D[/QUOTE]
    JD
    Yes there is..... It's called doing it the HARD WAY!!!! Listen to these guys they know their chit. Are you this hard headed when your tractor is broken and need fixing????

GofastRacer
    Well for whatever it's worth, my strut tube is 22 1/4", motor is 34" and the plates are 7 1/2". When I had the 440(aprx 550hp) in it I was on the up pedal, 7500r's 106 and change!..

biesemeyer34
    I'll put on some more spring pressure because I know that is definitely part of the problem before I back off the valve springs for the winter. Thank for everybody's contribution. Jimmy D To be continued!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12