Thread: 496 Mag. Air Filter ?'s

bear down
    I have 35 Hrs on my 496 Mag. engine and my spark arrestor/air filter has started making a loud hissing noise. Before this you could hear the hiss when the hatch was open but now when we are at idle I can hear that the hissing is loud then quiet and back and forth again until I rev. up the engine. The spark arrestor/filter looks very black/dirty and I have never changed it before so I am thinking that is what it is. I have not done a service on the engine yet. Do I need to change the spark arrestor/filter? How much is the stock Spark Arrestor/Filter? Thanks for any and all info.

Hustler
    why dont you just put a K&N on it? I know they have a marine approved one.

mike37
    You have the same problem I had that’s not a filter it’s a spark arrestor you can take it of and hose it clean
    But the black stuff is the serpentine belt rubbing particle off and throwing them on the spark arestor
    You need to tighten the belt a little that will fix it Thread serpentine belt
    [ June 16, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: mike37 ]

SCUBA STEVE
    Looking at the serpentine thread, it seems like I should carry a spare boat with me. I have a spare everything else, never thought of a spare belt. frown

Zuumer
    BD,
    The hissing sound is most likely the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve cycling which is normal. The suggestions above are right on. Take the spark arrester off and clean it with solvent and then blow it out from the inside out. Check the belt tension as suggested above. If you want to go with a K&N filter, check with Mike at Rex. They have the filters and adapter which I think is needed.
    Good luck
    Ron