Marty Gras
    "I like boat racing, not dyno racing!"

fc-pilot
    AMEN!
    Paul

Sleeper CP
    So do I. I like all kinds of racing but the last I checked Warren Johnson,Billy Glidden,Hendricks Motorsports,Penskie,Ferrari, Honda, Yamaha and John Force to name a few start on the dyno and finish on the track.
    Everyone that reads this thread we could all retire on the NASCAR guys dyno budgets.
    We are all guessing on the guys combination for his 700 HP oval port. It would be interesting to find out his complete combo. It would be a surprise to me if he built a 7,500 rpm 468 with oval ports that would have to flow over 340 cfm's to achieve his claimed #'s.
    Sleeper CP

fc-pilot
    So do I. I like all kinds of racing but the last I checked Warren Johnson,Billy Glidden,Hendricks Motorsports,Penskie,Ferrari, Honda, Yamaha and John Force to name a few start on the dyno and finish on the track.
    Everyone that reads this thread we could all retire on the NASCAR guys dyno budgets.
    I am not questioning that one bit. A dyno is a great tool. It is just that, one of the many tools we can use to help find optimum performance for our vehicles. The end result is the big key, if your toy gets beat by someone that spent half as much and makes less power then what good did the tool do us?
    I am trying to get at the fact that I could build two engines and have to one that makes less power be the one that performs better. I like dyno's and what they can do for me. I just chose to brag about the on track performance.
    Paul
    (I am not trying to slam on anybody here, I am just trying to point out that dyno sheets are cool, but they don't power your boat.)

Sleeper CP
    (I am not trying to slam on anybody here, I am just trying to point out that dyno sheets are cool, but they don't power your boat.)
    True enough. It's one more tool that when used correctly can give you the advantage on race day. But you might still get beat by a guy that takes his time to tune on the water and gets his boat set up correctly.
    Sleeper CP

fc-pilot
    But you might still get beat by a guy that takes his time to tune on the water and gets his boat set up correctly.
    Sleeper CP
    Could not have said it better myself.
    Paul

I have a customer that builds engines for a pull truck class limited to 470CID, flat tappet cams, and a 4150 modified carb. He has 2 customers with 049's that are making 690 and 715 HP at around 7800 rpm. Now these are 20K OEM headed engines with $4K of extensive port work including welded and reshaped ports. In addition these engines have 14.5 and 15 to 1 compression with custom chamber matched pistons.
    So is it possible, yes but bring out the wallet. Is it practical. No....

Sleeper CP
    Chris,
    Thanks for the useful information. As other's have said" It is possible, but it's going to cost a bunch and it certainly is not your everyday shop build."
    Sleeper CP

wsm9808
    There is a ton of BBC info on the Chevelles.com site. I think some of the guys over there worship the factory ovals. There is a handfull of guys running 10 flat and better with factory ovals in 3800# pound chevelles.
    http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ight=oval+port here is a link to one thread. Search "oval port" and you will get more reading than youll ever have time for.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345