I think you would be better off buying some commercial space that had room for your toys and renting out the front or what ever is left. More money up front but way better investment. If you work it right, cash flow even. You store your toys for free, or get paid to do it.
Sure, but myself, and many other folks in SoCal are already pretty well tapped out financially with the home prices, and more importantly, most are not equipped to manage a small commercial space and deal with the huge potential negative cash flow. Right now, my wife is managing 11 buildings, four of which are negative by greater than $200K per month right now because of poor occupancy. Not for lack of trying either. ANYTHING regarding residential real estate has rolled up and left... often times with huge debt loads accrued and losing lawsuits ahead of them. There is a lot of commercial space available, but most is at $.75 or greater per foot, plus utilities.
Take your average toy owner. They aren't going to buy commercial space to sublease to keep toys for free.
I was thinking about car clubs. How cool would it be to be able to buy one for your chapter of the Ferrari club and put three or four in the space with your stuff. $200/month each. Instant cash flow.
Same goes for any toy that you don't have room for, or space is preventing you from buying.