Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: These threads all..

ol guy
    The most dangerous thing anyone can do on a boat is assume everyone else see's you. I have stated this in other threads, And now I'll do it again, 30 plus years boating and no accidents and always looked around and at other boaters as if they had no clue I was there. Saved my a$$ to many times The drinking issue has been beat to the dirt and won't go there.

ratso
    The most dangerous thing anyone can do on a boat is assume everyone else see's you. I have stated this in other threads, And now I'll do it again, 30 plus years boating and no accidents and always looked around and at other boaters as if they had no clue I was there. Saved my a$$ to many times The drinking issue has been beat to the dirt and won't go there.
    Everyone does if you're in a DCB...

Froggystyle
    BTW... before my PM's fill up with clarification requests, I am talking about exceeding the traffic speed by 10-15 mph. That is what I mean by "moving along" for anyone concerned.
    I think ESPECIALLY if you are going slowly you need to be way over to the side, and allowing everyone else to proceed at a medium pace ( ) and not congest the situation any further.
    Don't get me started on tubers driving around in the basin in front of Sand Point. You know who you are, and what you are doing is placing the lives of the people on the tube, other boaters and yourself in danger by driving around in circles in a known high-speed traffic zone. I am usually clipping through there at better than 85 mph, and there is always some jackass driving perpendicular to river flow acting indignant because he is towing his kids behind him and thinks everyone else should slow down.
    Go find a cove, or find a better hobby. You are playing "tag" with your kids on a freeway. Dangerous, stupid and oblivious.

I normally just put it on kill at 63 and move right along. Anyone who can't keep up better be gettin outta my way.

ol guy
    Ratso. not a DCB

Boatcop
    You hit the nail right on the head with "Situational Awareness", Wes.
    I think I'm pretty safe in saying that I have more wheel time, in more different types of boats, than just about anyone on here. In 35 years of pleasure boating and work related boating, I've piloted just about everything including PWCs, 12 foot Avon RHIs, 30', 31', 40', 41', 44' Coast Guard Rescue Boats, a 65' Harbor Tug, 82' Patrol Boat, 16' outboards, 18-20'-24' foot day cruisers, 18-21' aluminum jets, 12' - 27' Boston Whalers, 36' landing craft, surf boats, life boats. On all kinds of waters. Lakes, rivers, oceans, bays, ship canals, breaking surf at the Colombia River mouth. In all kinds of conditions. Wind, fog, sun, rain, snow, sleet, icebergs, Green Peace protests, enemy attack (OK, drill only. Wes, I hope it wasn't you I shot when the Seal Team was trying to invade the San Diego Air Station )
    Well. You get the idea.
    In those thousands of hours, I have never put myself in a situation where a collision was imminent.
    Why?
    Because I know exactly where every boat within my sight is, and what they are doing. Be it in front of me, in back of me, or on either side. EVERY boat within my sight.
    I am confident in my boat handling abilities, and in my knowledge of Navigation Rules and proper actions of vessels in sight of one another.
    But the key to my success is also realizing that not everyone knows those Rules, nor will abide by them. I treat every boat or PWC out there like they are going to turn right onto my course, stop in front of me, or come shooting out of a cove or the shoreline. Since I am expecting it, I am prepared to act and take what ever evasive action necessary to avoid a collision. Whether that action is altering course, or the simplest thing of all. Draw back on the throttle(s).
    If you expect everyone to cut in front of you, it won't catch you off guard when they do.
    THAT'S Situational Awareness.

Tom Brown
    I think I'm pretty safe in saying that I have more wheel time, in more different types of boats, than just about anyone on here. In 35 years of pleasure boating and work related boating, I've piloted just about everything including PWCs, 12 foot Avon RHIs, 30', 31', 40', 41', 44' Coast Guard Rescue Boats, a 65' Harbor Tug, 82' Patrol Boat, 16' outboards, 18-20'-24' foot day cruisers, 18-21' aluminum jets, 12' - 27' Boston Whalers, 36' landing craft, surf boats, life boats. On all kinds of waters. Lakes, rivers, oceans, bays, ship canals, breaking surf at the Colombia River mouth. In all kinds of conditions. Wind, fog, sun, rain, snow, sleet, icebergs, Green Peace protests, enemy attack.....
    I'd say you are safe to boat at .40 BAC.

MKEELINE
    I'd say you are safe to boat at .40 BAC.
    In a hypothetical world your good as gold.

LOWRIVER2
    Situational Awareness, otherwise known as EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
    Good points to bring up, words to live by in ANY critical situation.
    You either gain it, use it, or you let life toss you around without it.
    Good to see you are still locked on Wes, even after all the resin fumes/ lol.
    When you bringing that dual jet down to Lost Lake?

ol guy
    Be aware of everyone around you and act as they don't see you and it will be a good day on the water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast