PDA

View Full Version : oil temp

Tresguey
05-31-2005, 08:11 AM
i have heard from a few people that oil temp on a jet boat can get pretty high. and was thinking of using my temp gauge for oil instead of water. my buddy is sure i really dont need to go through the hastle of doing this. he claims that oil temp will only get 10 degrres hotter than the water temp at most. i myself believe he is full of it and was wondering if anyone else had an input to this.

Nubbs
05-31-2005, 08:45 AM
On my boat, I run a water temp gauge and an oil temp gauge. There is no correlation between oil temp and water temp.

DeputyDawg
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Dude, your buddy must be smoking crack! He has obviously never run a jet boat with an oil temp gauge. I kept water temp at around 150-160 degrees and my oil temps would run up to 230 degrees!

BK
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
I just added a oil temp sender to my motor before this weekend. Oil temp on a long cruise at around 3500 rpm never got above 160 and water temp was at 120.

jetboater5
05-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Cruising @3500 to 4000rpm my oil temps stays around 210 but if I run it up for awhile it will shoot up to 260 to 270 I am going to put a oil cooler on this week. I run the engine temp anywhere from 130 to 160

Hallett19
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
BK, do you have an oil cooler ?
My water never gets much above 140 and oil gets around 230-260, even 280 on long wide open runs.
You could not use a water temp for checking oil.

BK
05-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Nope, no oil cooler. Im running a 10 quart pan with Mobile 1 15/50 in a mild BBC.

Tresguey
05-31-2005, 04:34 PM
thats what i figured. and yeah i did tell him to drop the glass pipe! so i guess it would be a wise idea to run a oil temp gauge. i knew oil temp could get a little high but i never figured it would get that high. i'm currently runnin a 14quart oil pan with a dual remote oil filter and a proto type oil cooler. i would hope my oil shouldn't get that high with that setup.

FASTRAT
05-31-2005, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Tresguey] so i guess it would be a wise idea to run a oil temp gauge...proto type oil cooler.
i run a mech oil temp gage hooked into the side of the pan where u drain it...i also run 50wt racing oil...less breakdown from the heat...do u run water thru ur oil cooler?...i have a Milodon oil cooler that hooks to the stock oil filter location & runs along the side of the block just above the pan & below the headers (OT's)...water runs thru it from the spigot on the jet...keeps the oil pretty cool
fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Indeed. Oil temperature has plenty to do with RPM, surface speed of journals, shear loads on the oil itself on the bearings (since the oil actually IS the bearing while running) and virtually nothing to do with engine / coolant temperature. Motor oil is best run above 220 degrees (to keep water boiled out of it) but well below 300 degrees, regardless of whatever your engine temp is. One caveat, coolers actually need to be set up with a thermostat of sorts or else it takes forever to get the oil up to a proper operating temperature, especially 10 to 14 quarts of it. That's 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 GALLONS.

Tresguey
05-31-2005, 10:22 PM
man so that means i need to get a oil thermostat from work to? my oil cooler is something the company i work for wants me to test out. and it is water injected.

DeputyDawg
05-31-2005, 11:38 PM
man so that means i need to get a oil thermostat from work to? my oil cooler is something the company i work for wants me to test out. and it is water injected.
No, you don't need to do that. When you are out on the typical summer day 85-120 degrees depending on where you go boating, it does not take long to get the oil warmed up in a jet boat engine even with a good cooler. After idling out of the no-wake zone at the boat ramp and then running at cruising speed for a few minutes, I always bring it back to idle and do a quick check out around the engine and bilge area to check for leaks and what not. That is enough to get the oil warmed up good. If you want the oil temp higher then all you have to do after the checkout run is hammer it and make a couple of hard passes! :)

LVjetboy
06-01-2005, 12:45 AM
"Oil temp on a long cruise at around 3500 rpm never got above 160 and water temp was at 120."
Try cruising at 4500 then check it.
Tresguey, 10 degrees above water for jets is BS under many conditions including cruise. How bad that is depends on the oil you run, how much power you have, and your application or mission profile as they say. The size of your pan only delays (temporarily) the rise at the same time delaying the cool.
jer

Tresguey
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
thanks guys for all the help as i am an amature to the jet scene. there is so much more i need to learn. and it looks like this is the place to be for all the good info.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't currently run as cooler, or a high-cap pan so my advice is tempered with a lack of first-hand experience. I have read that thermostats are reccomended for water-cooled oil coolers to speed getting oil to reach proper temp but if some of the folks here have practical experience to the contrary otherwise, I can't argue. :redface:
I am thinking of putting in some sort of oil temp gauge but don't have a real provision for it. I have massaged my 454 pretty fair (should make 400HP before Nitrous brings 150) and, though she is a lake boat whose majority of time is spent under 4,000RPM towing people arround. When we need to stand on it, we do, long and hard, and for as long as required. That is part of the reason I switched to Syntech last year, for temperature cushion on my 5-qts. Maybe this coming winter I will locate a place to tap one into a gallery while the engine is out and the block inverted for bottom refurbishment. ;)

SmokinLowriderSS
06-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Heck, if work wants you to test out the cooler, why not dress it out with the whole works and test it out with a thermostat. Or start without and plan to add later to test difference. :mix:
If MY job wanted me to test stuff (within certain reason) and was willing to foot the expenses, I'd be all for it. :idea: :D

BK
06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I am thinking of putting in some sort of oil temp gauge but don't have a real provision for it.
Its best to put it on the pan if possible but you can put it on the oil filterter housing just above the oil filter, theres an extra hole there with a plug in it.