View Full Version : Berkley Rudder??

h2oboy
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Looking to purchase a new rudder... Anyone have one they would like to seperate from?? Mine is done, and I have found that new they are $65.00 so I thought I would check to see if anyone is selling one. Also if anyone has 3/4" plastic pin bushings (4) I am going to replace them while I am in there. Please let me know. Thanks!!!

TIMINATOR
12-14-2005, 09:58 PM
I am in the west Phoenix,AZ area and have the bushings. What do you mean by done? We weld aluminum and can repair just about anything. Call me 623-877-8553 TIMINATOR

TexasJet
12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Try running without it. I took mine off and didn't notice any handling difference.

Devilman
12-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Ahh, the old rudder vs. no rudder topic. I read & read about this here on the boards when I first bought my boat ( it's rudderless ). I decided to learn to run & manuever it without it, as the common opinion here is the same as TexasJet mentioned....

El Prosecutor
12-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Try running without it. I took mine off and didn't notice any handling difference.
IMHO the rudder is worthless. I had my boat for a couple months before buying one, thinking that it would increase handling at very low speeds or when coasting up to the dock. NOT. Honestly, neither my wife or I could notice any perceptable difference. :cry:
The Seloc Marine Jet Drive Manual says that the rudder is "intended to meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements, namely all boats shall have a rudder. . . . .In actual practice, VERY little, if any rudder control can be utilized after the engine is shut down." :cool:
That's my 2 cents - just leave it off!

Some Kind Of Monster
12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Agreed,
I got rid of mine because it was always in the way. After, I couldn't tell it was gone.

IMPATIENT 1
12-15-2005, 08:52 AM
YEAH RUDDERS ARE A DRAG! :rolleyes:

h2oboy
12-15-2005, 09:23 AM
wow so everyone is in agreement here, that I should drop the dead weight and see how it handles without it..... I think I may give it a go.... Thanks for all the imput.... Had no idea I would be doing just that... Thanks

Squirtin Thunder
12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
If the boat is set up with a low thrust line the rudder helps at slow speeda as well as at high speed. The rudder will also help prevent a spin-out under hard cornering. I love having a rudder.

atxwrangler
12-15-2005, 03:00 PM
no worries,no rudder,no problem! nuff said? :D

Squirtin Thunder
12-15-2005, 03:06 PM
The rudder also helps if and when the engine looses power, it will keep you going strieght.

INFINITEJJ
12-15-2005, 05:09 PM
You can have mine, just pay shiping. When i bought the boat it didn't have one. Then i spent the $60.00 only to take it off later. I dont like getting hung up in the sand at the sandbar or when i beach it (lowest part on my boat). Best thing i ever did taking it off. Plus i think it adds uneeded stress to the transom in sharp turns (carving).

h2oboy
12-15-2005, 05:14 PM
You can have mine, just pay shiping. When i bought the boat it didn't have one. Then i spent the $60.00 only to take it off later. I dont like getting hung up in the sand at the sandbar or when i beach it (lowest part on my boat). Best thing i ever did taking it off. Plus i think it adds uneeded stress to the transom in sharp turns (carving).
Let me know where to send the check... Email your information, and pictures... Sounds like we have a deal!!! Even if I pass it on to another boater who is just starting out like me later on down the road.... ksmdenver@netscape.net

NELSON#109
12-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Sorrey St, But They Really Are Worthless No Matter What. Ive Tried Them On Several Boats, An 18 Challenger, A 19 Liberty, And Even The Big Ol Tri Hull... Have Tried Them W/ And With Out A Droop On The First Two.... Tried All Kinds Of Funky Stuff Including High Wot Engine Kills.... And No Results... Keep In Mind I Tried Both A Small And Large Place Ruder... The Large One Is Huge And Still Nothing.... The 19 Liberty Is The Same As The Hornet And Eliminator 19.... That Sucker Still Has The Small Ruder On It, And Even With The Large One It Will Spin Out All The Flippin Time... If It So Much As Thinks You Farted In The Seat... Bam Your Gettin Wet.... I Hate To Say It But All They Do Is Add Drag..... The Only Thing I Have Ever Noticed With One, Is If You Run Over 65 Mph Or So, And You Have Even The Slightest Amount Of Steering Play... The Friggin Thing Will Start Working Left N Right In A Funky Little Wiggle.... Those Who Think They Can Notice A Differance Are Kidding Themselves.... Beat It, Nelson#109

Hipshot
12-15-2005, 05:19 PM
originally posted by Squirtin Thunder
The rudder also helps if and when the engine looses power, it will keep you going strieght.
Do you really think so? I am not saying you are wrong because it might hold true with some boats but that has not been my experience. You would think that the Drag Boat racing organizations would require them if they really helped a boat go straight after a loss of power. I personally wouldn't run a rudder on a jet boat. You manuver a jet boat at idle speed with thrust direction, not rudder input. I also don't see how in the world a rudder could help keep a boat from spinning out in a hard turn unless it was one of those permanently affized straight rudders in front of the intake like some Rodgers have.

INFINITEJJ
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Let me know where to send the check... Email your information, and pictures... Sounds like we have a deal!!! Even if I pass it on to another boater who is just starting out like me later on down the road.... ksmdenver@netscape.net
Info on the way, I hope you have high speed access, i forgot to resize the pictures.

h2oboy
12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
well I wish it would have worked out.... Just the wrong style....

FASTRAT
12-16-2005, 09:52 AM
well I wish it would have worked out.... Just the wrong style....
give Tim (Timinator) a call in Avondale...ph# above...get his address...take ur old 1 over there & see if he can fix it...worth a try...nothing to lose...just a suggestion
fastrat

Jeanyus
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Loose the rudder you won't notice a difference.