View Full Version : Gullwing bass boat

Floored
12-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Yesterday in Ft. Mohave I saw a blue and white gullwing heading north. The odd thing was it was an open bow done as a bass boat and had a covered engine that was upholstered to match. First thought was too much acid in the 60's, but there it was. I have never seen it before but I am going to keep an eye out for it to get some pics. Anybody know this boat?

Big Kahunaa
12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
i'll keep a eye out for it you think it fast

Floored
12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
it came out from around Valencia rd from the east. Now that its cool they may use it for more fishing. First one to the fishing hole wins, right?

blender over
12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
it came out from around Valencia rd from the east. Now that its cool they may use it for more fishing. First one to the fishing hole wins, right?
if that was the case, i would go buy this!!!!!!!!!
http://www.liberatorboats.net/images/bassboattrimmedout.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
12-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Scotten told me he built ONE! but never spoke about it. Budlight

steelcomp
12-21-2005, 09:04 PM
He did...put a blower motor in it...genuine bass boat, too. I think it's still the official world's fastest bass boat. :D

73kona455
12-21-2005, 09:08 PM
possibly an apollo bass boat?.. jim youngblood built the gullwing using bass boat hull that he modified..he actually raced a jet bass boat for awhile..
see.. http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/
Jim Youngblood began to experiment with performance boats in the late 1950's in California and is noted to have boat building experience dating back to 1958. He ran a number of circle track and drag race flatbottom v-drive boats. Jim began interested in the early development of the jet propulsion driven boats and was featured in a California newspaper in 1969 as "James Youngblood with his NEW INNOVATION IN JETBOATS, the White Lighting Special". I guess the "white lightning" name was a reference from his Arkansas roots and the fast speeds of those lightning runners! The deck design from this boat was later used on the "in house" Southwind of Lightning Manufacturing.....
Somewhere along the way around the early 1970's Jim had that yearn to return to his Arkansas roots and settled back in Cabot, Arkansas. He and Neil Clark collaborated on the Triple C industries Apollo Jetboat design. Click here to see Apollo Boats. The Apollo design was a low profile hi performance "California style" jetboat that was built both in a low profile custom lake and race boat design as well as a jet "bass boat". As you review various hull pictures, you will be able to look at each of the boats mentioned throughout this article and see the chain of development and resemblance of one to the other. As was the way, . most of the successful boats of the age resembled others. Some of the folks were innovators and some were just copiers. The art of boat "splashing" seemed to run rampant in the late 70's and why reinvent the wheel if the hub was working fine?
During this time of jet boat development Jim worked with Neil and several others who's chemistries formed to make a mark in the history of jetboating. The Apollo boat company worked very closely with the Jacuzzi Brothers Jet plant located in Little Rock which was very handy as Cabot was a small town just a few miles Northeast of the city. A couple of young budding jet propulsion engineers, Jack Seastrum and Roger Finney were on the scene and both had an interest in designing and implementing the jet pump in a performance boat deign. Also in the Apollo plant was a budding fiberglass boy wonder of gelcoat and design Robert Wittenburg. Jack Seastrom, also known as Jac Sea, was instrumental in developing a very efficient impeller design and also a high speed loader, referenced as the "sharks tooth" loader, that assisted in the higher speed potential of the boats.
At the time all these guys were working together some fun things were happening! After all, they were pioneers in this jetboat industry and they were making history! There were many folks trying to develop propulsion and hulls through the next decade that wanted to be the leader in these technologies. Some rose higher and quicker than others, but the competition was on! Jim began to run a series of raceboats and began to have a following and his accomplishments were widespread. One of the more humorous and memorable boats was the Apollo jet propelled "Bassboat"! Yes, a bassboat version of their jetboat hull was taken to some big bassboat, drag and circle races and with Jim's Injected Big Block or his Blown Big Block Chevy for power and set, "bassboat" records!
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/jacuzzi/YBbassboat.jpg

Floored
12-23-2005, 06:39 AM
This one had the long pointy nose and the upholstered engine cover stuck way above the deck. The front was flat floor bass boat with lockers and a spot for the seat. I gotta find it and take pics.

sdba069
12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Laser Boats from the DFW area built a gullwing bass boat hull called an LTV. They used that same bottom on a covered deck ski boat version also. They ran a few of those in the Mod VP ranks a few years back.All I've ever seen have been outboard powered. I've worked on several of those old Apollo bass hulls. They are more a tri-hull design. Everyone I've had in here had an Olds engine and Berkeley pump.

Cheyenne372
12-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Here's a photo of the Apollo Rescue Boat that the SDBA had in the 70's and early-early 80's.
Photo was taken in Austin at the last Aqua Festival.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=95664&password=&sort=7&thecat=521

FASTJTBT
12-30-2005, 05:53 PM
EARLY 80s ross wilder tool a bass boat deck mold for his race boat he ran small blocks they ran real good. There about 6 of them out running around.

smokinjoe
01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Here is the bass boat that scotten built. i removed the trolling motor and the plate where the slide in pole seat goes. I thought about leaving it there and getting a brass pole for the chicks to dance on or keep the pole seat and see if anyone wanted to ride in it while doing a 100 mph pass.

77charger
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I think with a lil 2.5 merc on the back it would be faster than the jetdrive easily and use alot less gas:D
NOw if you put a 650hp motor you might be able to stay ahead but than again when you gas up you will get past:)

73kona455
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Here is the bass boat that scotten built. i removed the trolling motor and the plate where the slide in pole seat goes. I thought about leaving it there and getting a brass pole for the chicks to dance on or keep the pole seat and see if anyone wanted to ride in it while doing a 100 mph pass.
was that the one that was on ebay awhile back?

mirrorimage
01-17-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah i was gonna bid on that one ... what did you pay 4 it ?:D

Jetmugg
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Maybe you could convince "Big Mike" to put a brass stripper pole on the front of the black and green gullwing. I know he originally had his heart set on a Rebel Flag, maybe he could combine that Confederate theme with some Daisy Duke style strippers. Oh YEAH.
SteveM.

smokinjoe
01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes it was the one on ebay I paid 1200 for it with Pump, bbc mounts ,2 ss fuel tanks (kept them), exahust ,alt. and 10qt pan , trolling motor and air scoop for a single 4bbl. sold all of that and made 400 bucks and i just finished doing the bottom and the set back and painting the boat now i will be starting to rig it.

73kona455
01-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Maybe you could convince "Big Mike" to put a brass stripper pole on the front of the black and green gullwing. I know he originally had his heart set on a Rebel Flag, maybe he could combine that Confederate theme with some Daisy Duke style strippers. Oh YEAH.
SteveM.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: .. he would be right at home with that idea...lol.. I think the boat that was on ebay was an earl smith.. it was listed with a PJB hin #

73kona455
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
SteveM.
emailed a link to this to mike,, this is his response....
"I like the idea of that stripper pole on front of the boat!"
Big Mike

smokinjoe
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: .. he would be right at home with that idea...lol.. I think the boat that was on ebay was an earl smith.. it was listed with a PJB hin #
It is a PJB# but research tells me its an early CP that bill built when he got started he was useing that HIN # but I could be wrong ?

Cs19
01-20-2007, 07:51 PM
If its says PJB on the vin its a Scotten boat.

steelcomp
01-20-2007, 08:03 PM
If its says PJB on the vin its a Scotten boat.It could be an ES boat...Earl started Performance Jet Boats before Scotten had it. Scotten added California to Performance...(thus, the CP), but his HIN's still say PJB...at least that's they way I understand it.

Cs19
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Bill told me a few weeks ago anything with PJB in the vin is one of his boats. I think hes supposed to come by next week, Ill ask him again.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Earl's boats and Scotten's boats are PJB. Lately Scottens are PJBT

73kona455
01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
if i remember right the boat in question is a 79 model...wouldnt that be an earl smith?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I think it's still the official world's fastest bass boat. :D
Sorry steel, I disagree!;) :D ;)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Copy%20of%20Posters%20002.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
if i remember right the boat in question is a 79 model...wouldnt that be an earl smith?
Yes, depending on who you talk to.

BACK2BIGRIVER
01-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I was told last week by Greg Shoemaker that him and Bill stated makeing CP in 1979

FASTJTBT
01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Does anybody now where the style of the gullwing came from?? One hint 18ft cobalt in the 70s??

Wicked Performance Boats
01-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Does anybody now where the style of the gullwing came from?? One hint 18ft cobalt in the 70s??
Depends on who you talk to. The best version I have is=====After WW2, a navel designer designed a boat [hull] that would be efficient and allow a person to stand on the bow without the front going under for military use. Then the next time this design pops up is on an Apollo fishing boat. Then Youngblood copied it and made some fast boats out of that mold. Then he sold the molds to Earl Smith in Texas. Now is when it gets cloudy. Bill Scotten says he purchased them[the molds] in a business deal and started California Performance. In 1991 Bill made new molds and sold his old ones. He told me he sold them to Mantra. He said Mantra never finished paying for them and he repossessed them and sold them to somebody in Australia. There are other molds for gullwings out there but it's cloudy who's are original and who's are copy's. The stories vary. but that's the gist of it. Budlight

old rigger
01-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Scotten told me he built ONE! but never spoke about it. Budlight
We built an open bow for Scotten (Advantage built his hulls back then) but this was in the late 80's, and if memory serves me correct, it was for George Stregal. But it wasn't set up as a Bass boat, it was set up for seating, such as it was, up in that bow. So as far as him building 'one', I'm not sure that's the case. ;)

old rigger
01-22-2007, 08:41 AM
don't know where the gullwing bottom got it's start, but OMC came out with two versions in '62, one a Johnson the other an Evinrude, both sold as 'gullwing' designs. Built til '70 or so, then Chris Craft bought the molds and continued production.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/omcj.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/omce.jpg
Oh yeah, while this isn't a gull wing, it was the first departure from the conventional V bottom designed boat, and that was the Hickman Sea Sled. (Sea Sled?, Jesus, what a name) Albert Hickman designed his first inverted V bottom boat in 1914 and as early as 1921 these big hogs were running well over 50 mph. And I believe they were used by the military because of their being so stable, able to haul big pay loads and so on.
Just a little useless info. lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/hickman2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/hickman1.jpg

Cs19
01-22-2007, 08:49 AM
We built an open bow for Scotten (Advantage built his hulls back then) but this was in the late 80's, and if memory serves me correct, it was for George Stregal. But it wasn't set up as a Bass boat, it was set up for seating, such as it was, up in that bow. So as far as him building 'one', I'm not sure that's the case. ;)
was it blue and white? I still see them water skiing with that boat out at the river.

old rigger
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
was it blue and white?
Could be, sounds right, been a long time. Doesn't help that I'm color blind either.

Wicked Performance Boats
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
OR, I was only talking about bass boats. I have no idea how many open bow's he may have built. And thanks for the rest of the infomation. I hated history in school BUT now I love it! BL

old rigger
01-22-2007, 10:43 AM
OR, I was only talking about bass boats. I have no idea how many open bow's he may have built. And thanks for the rest of the infomation. I hated history in school BUT now I love it! BL
Got ya...but isn't his thread about open bow cp bass boats, cause the pictures of the one smokin joes posted is a closed bow.
I thought maybe someone converted the one we built back in the day to be more utilitarian, from seats to whatever the hell a bass fisherman would have up there in the bow. :)

Wicked Performance Boats
01-22-2007, 11:10 AM
OR, To tell you the truth. I don't know if it was open or closed bow. But my guess it was a closed bow, otherwise it would take alot of deck mold work [or inserts] to make it work. I only heard about the one bassboat from Bill.
This is probably it BL

78CoLe
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
hey pat your mold is the one their talking about that looks like a fishing boat my neighbor knows the guy he bought it at a auction in the late 80's and made it a fishing boat supposedly according to my neighbor

smokinjoe
01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
this is the trolling motor off of the bow. also the passingers seat was removed for more space in the boat. the hull is in good shape doesnt appear to be rode hard just weathered. i will put up a couple of pics when the paint is done today

Wicked Performance Boats
01-23-2007, 11:58 AM
hey pat your mold is the one their talking about that looks like a fishing boat my neighbor knows the guy he bought it at a auction in the late 80's and made it a fishing boat supposedly according to my neighbor
I'll ask JO JO when I see him again. Pat

Gearhead
02-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Depends on who you talk to. The best version I have is=====After WW2, a navel designer designed a boat [hull] that would be efficient and allow a person to stand on the bow without the front going under for military use. Then the next time this design pops up is on an Apollo fishing boat. Then Youngblood copied it and made some fast boats out of that mold. Then he sold the molds to Earl Smith in Texas. Now is when it gets cloudy. Bill Scotten says he purchased them[the molds] in a business deal and started California Performance. In 1991 Bill made new molds and sold his old ones. He told me he sold them to Mantra. He said Mantra never finished paying for them and he repossessed them and sold them to somebody in Australia. There are other molds for gullwings out there but it's cloudy who's are original and who's are copy's. The stories vary. but that's the gist of it. Budlight
Pat you are right in that it depends on who you talk to. And to some extent all these stories are intertwined. Now Youngblood was in California building the Esquires then moved to Cabot, Ar and with Neal Clark they used a center keel much similiar to the Esquire and began working towards the gullwing style. At Apollo they even had a tri-hull ski boat that resembled the Cobalt and Glastron boats. Jack Seastrum says the gullwing is a derivative of the Cobalt and Ervin Capps says there is also a Glastron resemblance. Anyway I am sure any of Jim's previous work and knowledge was used when he designed the "Cathedral" of "Gullwing" style of the TX-19. Now this boat is the one that has been most copied and there are many derivatives including your hull that was modified in Oklahoma.
As far as Earle Smith and Bill Scotten go, Earle began building Youngblood boats in El Paso then changed some of the design and called them Performance Jet Boats. He then worked with Bill Scotten and Bill constructed the Performance Jet Boat in California and later changed the name to California Performance. For visual proof of these statements view the advertisements below.
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/ads/yb_adv1.jpg
This advertisement was printed during the time Earle Smith was producing the TX-19 in conjunction with Youngblood Jetboats.
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/ads/performance.jpg
This advertisement was printed after Earle Smith separated with Youngblood Jetboats, straightened the sides and shortened the TX-19 to produce the Earle Smith Performance 18' Gullwing. Bill Scotten was also offering the Performance Jetboat in California. Notice the address.
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/ads/cp2.jpg
This advertisement was printed after Scotten separated with Earle Smith
Performance Jetboats and marketed his own gullwings.
Interesting info that I hope helps.
Gearhead

Gearhead
02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
And here is a pic of the gullwing bass boat circa 1974 and was run at the SDBA Austin Shootout and other races.
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/jacuzzi/YBbassboat.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
02-18-2007, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE][/QUOthis boat is the one that has been most copied and there are many derivatives including your hull that was modified in Oklahoma.TE]GH, You are correct except, That my mold was made and then modified from a ES hull. The Original owner of my mold was Jo Jo Tancredi and since it was made, it has not been modified. It was made in Ft Mohave, Az. Budlight

smokinjoe
02-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Here is a couple of pics after painting it. still have to put the name on it.

Gearhead
02-18-2007, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=Wicked Performance Boats, GH, You are correct except, That my mold was made and then modified from a ES hull. The Original owner of my mold was Jo Jo Tancredi and since it was made, it has not been modified. It was made in Ft Mohave, Az. Budlight[/QUOTE]
Thanks Pat for the update/clarification on your hull. BTW, your boats are looking good. Has your mold been in AZ the whole time? What is your latest build?
Gearhead

smokinjoe
02-18-2007, 02:45 PM
another pic

Wicked Performance Boats
02-18-2007, 07:52 PM
GH, The mold left AZ and went to Tulsa, Ok for awhile but now it's back. Gunslinger has the latest one now. Pat

smokinjoe
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
ok I will try to post the before and after pics of the bass boat
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=50869&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=50870&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=50871&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
runs great except im having a little problem when shuting down at 90 it wants to turn to the right. not violently but im thinking at 100 it may be an issue