PDA

View Full Version : When in Doubt - Shotgun Scoop!

HBjet
02-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Here are the various motors owned and built by Cyclone that have been topped off with the famous "Shotgun Scoop"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20Shotgun1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20Shotgun2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20Shotgun3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20Shotgun4-med.jpg
I wonder what it will be on next!
HBjet:)

disco_charger
02-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Can I get a picture of the back of the engine? I'd like to see how he mounted his puke tank...

Big Proppa
02-10-2004, 11:34 PM
All I can Say is - This is going to be a great f%#kin summer - can't wait to see it in person

Cs19
02-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Lookin good! I was wondering about that puke tank too, why so high up? Just curious.I cant believe how tall that motor is, looks bad ass.
I hear it makes good power too, looks like Cyclones gonna have a good summer.
Man you guys keep steppin it up a notch. If you dont have 1000 horse for this summer you aint chit.:D

HBjet
02-11-2004, 12:55 AM
No good photo's Disco, but he has 2 L brackets that mount off the rear carb mounting studs, which are mounted to the puke tank.
HBjet

HBjet
02-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by cs19
I hear it makes good power too
Must have seen it at the track then...:D
HBjet

Jake W
02-11-2004, 05:25 AM
Dam that muther is tall.What kind of headers is Mike gona run?ZOMMIES?
Jake:D

MikeF
02-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Looks like you're gonna move a "little" more water this year! :eek:
Any speed guestimate's yet? I'm gonna go w/ 111! :eek: :D

Infomaniac
02-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Wow that is way cool.
I guess the Superchiller discussion was successful.
Nothin like a blower belt screaming in your face if in the back seats.

Jim Brock
02-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Is there room for the coastguard flame arresters in there,? Jim

Danhercules
02-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Whats a puke tank? Is that like a waste gate for a turbo motor?

hack job
02-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Whats a puke tank? Is that like a waste gate for a turbo motor?
a puke tanks catchs blow by( oil out of the breathers) and put its in a tank.mike use to just put it all over the back of his boat.;)

cyclone
02-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Big Proppa
All I can Say is - This is going to be a great f%#kin summer - can't wait to see it in person
I've been daydreaming about floating down the river with a beer in hand watching the boats fly by since december. cant wait for summer to get here. is yours together yet?

cyclone
02-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by cs19
Lookin good! I was wondering about that puke tank too, why so high up? Just curious.I cant believe how tall that motor is, looks bad ass.
I hear it makes good power too, looks like Cyclones gonna have a good summer.
Man you guys keep steppin it up a notch. If you dont have 1000 horse for this summer you aint chit.:D
The tank is up that high for two reasons. First is that the motor doesn't have a huge amount of blowby. If you look closely at the valve covers, i installed the bungs directly over a rocker arm instead of in between them. I really screwed that up because when the engines running i get oil squirting right into the Pan E Vac hoses and at high rpm the headers were scavenging the oil out and tossing onto the transom of the boat. So installed the puke tank and bolting it to the rear carb studs was the easiest location. I also figured the higher i installed it, the less likely ill have oil blowing out of the breathers. :D

cyclone
02-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Jim Brock
Is there room for the coastguard flame arresters in there,? Jim
Jim- if you look closely you'll see the flame arrestors inside the scoop. Actually you'll probably notice the flame arrestor housings, but the mesh has all been removed from them to improve airflow. :D

cyclone
02-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Wow that is way cool.
I guess the Superchiller discussion was successful.
Nothin like a blower belt screaming in your face if in the back seats.
The discussion did help my decision. Figured it would be good insurance since i never know how good the gas coming out of the pumps on the river is. I've notice its usually got quite a bit of water in it.

cyclone
02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by MikeF
Looks like you're gonna move a "little" more water this year! :eek:
Any speed guestimate's yet? I'm gonna go w/ 111! :eek: :D
ive got some idea but i'm unsure. It will be interesting to see what adding an extra 150lbs and moving the motor forward 1.5-inches does to boats performance. i'm hoping the additional hp will make up for it.

HBjet
02-11-2004, 09:39 AM
I say 97.8mph...
HBjet:yuk:

cyclone
02-11-2004, 10:34 AM
25 mph in reverse!:eek:

Hotcrusader76
02-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Wow Mike...the motor looks absolutely killer!
Are you running the motor's fuel system with a Holley blue only? Or is there some other back-up pump we don't know about?
~Ty

cyclone
02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
i've got one Holley "black" fuel pump to feed it. I think its enough but maybe you can shed some light on this. I think the pump is rated to 140 gph???

Jim Anderson
02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
That boat is gonna be fast. Are you at all worried about the handling characteristics of the hull with the new found power? I can't wait to see it run. Maybe we will see you at the river.

Bense468
02-11-2004, 12:35 PM
;) hows the taco stand jim LOL
By the way cyclone looks good. What made you decide on a weiand? Just curious. Have you dynoed it yet?

cyclone
02-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Jim Anderson
That boat is gonna be fast. Are you at all worried about the handling characteristics of the hull with the new found power? I can't wait to see it run. Maybe we will see you at the river.
I've talked to a few racers who say the hull is safe to 120 mph. I wont be going that fast but still, i bought a jet-a-way just to be on the safe side. Ill be at the river all summer long so i'll see you there!:)

cyclone
02-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Bense468
;) hows the taco stand jim LOL
By the way cyclone looks good. What made you decide on a weiand? Just curious. Have you dynoed it yet?
Thanks jeff. The weiand's are fairly cheap and they work excellent for my application. The motor was dyno'd last week and is back in the boat. i'm re-rigging stuff now in an attempt to make the march race.

Bense468
02-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Nice that will be good to see it run ming in March. I will be there.
I was looking at mooneyhams, littlefields, and kind of looking at BDS and Blowershops but they are all pretty expensive. I know that weiands are cheaper, but I heard from a guy that runs a lot of blower motors that the snout drives are weak on them. They break I guess. I am not sure how much work you got to be putting into the blower to make that happen, but was wondering what persuaded you. Have you heard anything about this at all?
I don't know I will probably end up going with a Mooneyham or Littlefield because from the few guys I know that do blower motors, they all like them. They have been around for a long time. If I find a good deal on a BDS I might go that route. I am in no hurry so we will see.

cyclone
02-11-2004, 02:51 PM
i have spoken with some people at Holley and they changed several things on those blowers, particulary the castings for the manifolds. Not sure about the snout though. I'm running really low boost but i'm not sure if that makes a difference either. I wonder what kind of stress would break it? pulley size or other?

Bense468
02-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah I don't know. I was told to stay away from them. I would like to know myself. It is a big purchase and I do see the difference between Mooneyham and Littlefields price wise, just not sure how much of that goes into name. I would think if you are running a bigger pully on that thing and running pretty mild you should be fine. If you were spinning it up and running on alcohol that might be a different story.

cyclone
02-11-2004, 02:59 PM
i should be fine then i guess.

Bense468
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I think you should too. This might be something we could bring up over in the blower motor section. Maybe somone on here has experience with this problem. Just out of curiosity.
What kind of speeds are you looking for? If you are not going to turn it too much, I am guessing 103 just for shit and giggles.

cyclone
02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
i'm shooting for 100 but who knows what it'll really do. the extra weight and moving the motor forward should have a negative effect on speed.

Bense468
02-11-2004, 03:24 PM
yeah it does but you were not too far off before. I think you will meet your goal. That will be one nice boat at 100. Are you going to run your old headers or throw on some zoomies?

HBjet
02-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
i'm shooting for 100
Oh please.... you know your going to hit 100, the unknown is just how far past 100 it will take you...
He Bense.... I just gotta say I love that avatar! Anyways, are you gonna be boating with us this summer? Are you building a blower motor using your older motor with the Merlin heads?
HBjet

Bense468
02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes I am going to use that motor. So it will be a blown 468 or 496 not too sure yet ;)
No I won't be able to boat with you because I don't have a boat YET. I will probably spend most of my time up in Havasu with my dads boat. I still need to get out, and without a boat I have to take dads or rely on friends.

Hustler
02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
and without a boat I have to take dads or rely on friends.
So it looks like you will be relying on dads boat then!!
:p I heard you had no friends:p :D

Bense468
02-11-2004, 04:22 PM
No its just that I have real friends not just internet friends ;)
Just out of curiosity, who did you ask so I know who is talking shit. Cause no one has said anything to my face....Whats that tell ya?

HBjet
02-11-2004, 04:37 PM
SO Hustler.... I think we need to have Cyclone let you borrow his motor one day and try it out in your boat... what do you think about that?
HBjet

Hustler
02-11-2004, 04:43 PM
No its just that I have real friends not just internet friends ;)
Just out of curiosity, who did you ask so I know who is talking shit. Cause no one has said anything to my face....Whats that tell ya?
Chill Turbo it's a joke, dont be so perinoid:D :D

Hustler
02-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
SO Hustler.... I think we need to have Cyclone let you borrow his motor one day and try it out in your boat... what do you think about that?
HBjet
lets do it, then I can see if I really want to spend the money:rolleyes: :D

Bense468
02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
sorry... I read it and responded in a hurry. If you notice I edited it because I responded so fast that I screwed up typing. My fault took it wrong I guess.

Hustler
02-11-2004, 04:50 PM
sorry... I read it and responded in a hurry. If you notice I edited it because I responded so fast that I screwed up typing. My fault took it wrong I guess.
No worries, Did you get my PM?

Bense468
02-11-2004, 04:53 PM
yes I responded. How was pismo when you guys went? I was out in glamis 2 times in Jan and will be going to dumont in the next 2 weeks or so.

Hustler
02-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Pismo was awsome, especialy with the new trailer you see a few pic's here. Pismo Trip (http://op6c.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=1756&)
I dont know if we will get out in feb. but I plan on going to the Dumont clean up on March 13th

Bense468
02-11-2004, 05:07 PM
hmm maybe we will just hit up glamis this month and hit up dumont on the 13th. I am not a member of the op6 forums so I did not see the pics. I think I saw them on ***boatpics when I was posting something though. If its the same one I saw by you its a nice rig.

Hotcrusader76
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
i've got one Holley "black" fuel pump to feed it. I think its enough but maybe you can shed some light on this. I think the pump is rated to 140 gph???
No you'll be fine with that. I thought you had a blue in there.
Infomaniac covered it well with his theory "10 GPH per 100 HP ". Stick with that and everything stays cool and intact.
~Ty

SPECTRABRENT
02-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Cyclone,
What is the size of your carbs?
Brent

77charger
02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
Infomaniac covered it well with his theory "10 GPH per 100 HP ". Stick with that and everything stays cool and intact.
~Ty you might want to trythe clay smith high volume pump also a friend of mine runs one with his blower motor it seems to hold pressure up as well.

cyclone
02-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
lets do it, then I can see if I really want to spend the money:rolleyes: :D
randy needs to stop trying to loan out everyone's motors. :D

cyclone
02-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
~Ty
oh good because its already mounted and plumbed. :)

cyclone
02-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by SPECTRABRENT
Cyclone,
What is the size of your carbs?
Brent
they are 950HP's.

cyclone
02-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by 77charger
you might want to trythe clay smith high volume pump also a friend of mine runs one with his blower motor it seems to hold pressure up as well.
well if mine no workie then i'll check that one out. the general consensus seems to be that it'll work though. thanks for the info.:)

superdave013
02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
i have spoken with some people at Holley and they changed several things on those blowers, particulary the castings for the manifolds. Not sure about the snout though. I'm running really low boost but i'm not sure if that makes a difference either. I wonder what kind of stress would break it? pulley size or other?
The snout on your blower looks totaly different then the old one peice "street" deals. Those were the weak ones. Those one peice deals also took pulleys with the larger center hole. It was 2 1/8" if I remember right.

cyclone
02-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
The snout on your blower looks totaly different then the old one peice "street" deals. Those were the weak ones. Those one peice deals also took pulleys with the larger center hole. It was 2 1/8" if I remember right.
ok that makes sense. they must have changed it then because my pulleys work on the 2-inch diameter registers. thanks for the info SD.:)

Jake W
02-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Headers or Zommies must be a secret.
Jake:D

HBjet
02-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I think he should run logs....

Jake W
02-12-2004, 04:29 PM
I say upside down car headers the ones that say HOOKER on them.
Dam HB when did you start loving Aggressor.
Jake:)

old rigger
02-12-2004, 04:32 PM
[URL=http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20Shotgun4-med.jpg]
Mike,
This thing is beautiful. Very nice job. (except for the shot gun scoop) I think a engine as impressive as what you've built doesn't need a scoop like that. It just detracts form it. IMHO
Why do you think you're gonna lose some speed by moving the engine forward 1 1/2 inches? Just curious.
Did you ever stick a fin back in it?
Great job. Can't wait to see how it runs.

HBjet
02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
Dam HB when did you start loving Aggressor.
I've always loved Aggressor! Without me, they wouldn't be as well known as they are now on these boards. I just wish they would send me a T-shirt, or hat or something...:(
A few nights ago, Me and another guy helping Cyclone out on his boat suggested to fab up a cold air intake system for the front of his scoop..... he declinded the offer:confused:
HBjet

TRG
02-12-2004, 05:15 PM
"I TOOK OUT AN INSURANCE POLICY TODAY"!!!!!!lol