Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pneumatic vdrive down plate systems

Wild and Out
    Rexie,
    What happened to multiple identities not being allowed?
    Brian
    I am under my own identity, why would someone want to pick this guys boat apart? My reference was to TR2 , He posted video of his boat sometime back and to be quite honest it looked like a nice piece, however a blown injected motor running 9.20's leads me to beleive
    A. All spark plug wires were not secured to the plugs correctly
    B. there may have been a 48% gear in the box
    C. The motor is just straight out Tired
    D. The boats set up is extremely askewed
    No offense but stop raggin on someones ride that runs 1.29 secs. faster than yours and ask a motr or set up question instead. And wsuwrhr grow some balls and be a man. Sincerely Richard long

vdrivedenis are you going to the finals?? I also would like to come and check it out. Seems pretty interesting!!!

vdrivedenis
    Fresh off a week on the road, so I will answer some of the posted questions and concerns: For the picture with #'s,
    **#1. (A) Is filler caps for the block. This enables me to fill the block full from the top down with water for warm up,(this has been removed for an updated system) #2. (B)Is a fuel filter for the primer pump to the injector, #3. (C) Is a site gauge for the T tank, it runs from the top to the bottom so I can tell how much fuel is in tank at a glance, #4 The fuel shut off is a chrome T handle on the dash, with an additional pull kill that is before the barrel valve, and corded to my vest along with the mag kill, #5 Yes, the turnbuckle is safety wired, along with a screw & nut through the open link. I'm a pilot, and you will find a lot of safety wire in this boat.
    **Comment on the injector return springs is appreciated and well taken. We will review options on this during our winter maintenance.
    **I feel that an electric system would be too slow and open to greater risk of failure due to moister contamination
    **I've never seen the circle boat application for down plate assistance, but I hear it is a great design and works well. My design will not be going on the market because of liability purposes-I will give the technology to anyone wanting to duplicate the system, along with a parts list and where to buy the components. Anyone is free to copy it and ask questions. Our shop is in Lockwood, Ca., off the end of Lake San Antonio-v-drivers welcome.
    **My main goal is to run the system with hydraulics. My Hondo is being set up as a test platform for this. All the research has been done and I can test it locally.
    **Catastrophic pressure loss of the current system would result in the plates going to a "nuetral" or relaxed position. This poly tubing far exceeds the pressures we are running, and if there is a fire I guarantee you I will be more concerned about the alcohol you cannot see burn than anything!!
    **Gauges are mainly for warm up purposes:Water temp L, water temp R,
    oil pressure & oil temp. Voltmeter is to tell the condition of the battery, as there is no charging system and I am tired of hitting the battery with a multimeter. Boost gauge & tach have a tattle tale, and the only thing I may glance at during a run is the the R & L EGT's (which are ear marked with red lines), as this is how the system is tuned quickly.
    **Sorry about being slow pulling myself out to the starting point at the last NJBA meet, but I took a deer through the windshield three years ago and it split my right rotator cup, which hasn't been repaired yet. I also have broken that shoulder in three places and dislocated both my right and left shoulder in the past, so it really smarts to haul myself out there. Operation on the shoulder takes four months to heal, which I cannot afford right now, so it will wait until I am closer to retirement-daily life consists of asprin and Therigisic!! At this point in life, I feel lucky to be alive-the hell with the pain. The last deer I killed was with a Harley Davidson! Me 2, deer 0.
    Denis :boxed:

superdave013
    Hi Denis,
    Neat looking set up you have going.
    I have been kicking around a hydraulic system for some time now. I want to go that way over air because it's for a day cruiser and I don't want to mess with bottle refils. I think I have a neat system going (in my head) but would like to run my ideas past someone in the know. Sounds like you are the guy.
    I would rather not talk about it here at this point. Do you have an e mail address or phone number so we could talk?
    You could e mail me at dave@sweetperformance.com and give me some contact info that would be fantastic.
    Thanks,
    Dave Bottomley

Fired Up
    Denis, There is obviously a photo of your boat somewhere in or on the HB site and I can't find it. I'd like to see it to give some reference to your thread. Where do I find it?

vdrivedenis
    There are several photos of the boats inside posted, and one running the 1/4 mile. I am new to this site, and am having trouble re-finding things that I previously found-best I can say is everything I have found is under Hot Boat Forums, then under V-drives. I am not a computer guru by any means.
    Denis

ColeTR2
    Denis thanks for the info. I'd like to see your boat in person maybe at the races next year. Sounds like you have thought every thing through. I was wondering is that water venting out where the wing is?
    No offense but stop raggin on someones ride that runs 1.29 secs. faster than yours and ask a motr or set up question instead. Sincerely Richard long
    You comparing a Blown Gas Flat to a Blown Alcohol Flat is just stupid. Is your name really Dick Long? You have to be making that up.
    Sincerely - Richard Cranium

vdrivedenis
    Sorry, I forgot the question about going to the finals. Our current plans are to pull all of the underwater gear before we run any more. This is the only thing that we have not completely reviewed since we bought the boat last December and I want to change the shaft to 1 1/8", along with the strut barrel, prop and water log. We also want to crack check the rudder shaft and check it for wear. I feel that when we get through tuning and gearing the boat properly we will be in the 140's and the 7's. We have no plans to additionally pump up the motor. I am also not a serious racer. This is just a toy to horse around with when I feel the need for speed. My serious racing days are behind me.
    Denis

superdave013
    Denis thanks for the info. I'd like to see your boat in person maybe at the races next year. Sounds like you have thought every thing through. I was wondering is that water venting out where the wing is?
    You comparing a Blown Gas Flat to a Blown Alcohol Flat is just stupid. Is your name really Dick Long? You have to be making that up.
    Sincerely - Richard Cranium
    lol You are so right. Prolly otta compare it to a ski flat. :cry: bling bling

vdrivedenis
    You will notice that there are two streams of water coming out by the wing brackets ( one on each bracket-R & L) and one from the back of the boat. My water system is set up with a inlet check valve so that the block holds water for warm up. In order to do this, I have the outlets higher than the block so tht it doesn't siphon out and positioned so that when photos are taken that I can check the water flow. A second system is plumbed to the inlet side with a 10 pound bypass valve, so that we can relieve any pressure over 10 pounds out the back of the boat which also can be seen in photos so it can be monitored. The heads also have a right and left steam bypass system, which vents the front of the heads to the back of the heads so that there is no air lock in the lower (front) side. This has taken years to work out, but worth the effort. Alcohol doesn't like to run on a cold engine, so I try to keep the block hot, but safe. When I plumb my lake alcohol engine, I will be incorporating a thermostat system as well as the aforementioned components.
    Denis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast