Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impeller inducer question?????

IMPATIENT 1
    I can see from this thread there are going to be multiple opinions on the inducer. I have to agree with Pops from a hydrodynamic view the straightest and smoothest flow path is the most efficient and one of least resistance. In a perfect world of everything developed and tuned correctly this would be true. Anytime you bend water or place another obstacle in the way, even droops and diverters, we are altering the path of the water that may affect efficiency.
    However, I would say most of the boaters on this site don't have a perfect world situation. Very few of us have the power or technology that exist in boats like Dan Nelson's. So, let's look at this from another perspective. As Mike Edwards stated over thirty years ago, (paraphrased) each jetboat is different and it is up to you to tune your boat to the best performance ability.
    There have been improvements over the years, especially with the advent of data aquisition over the last twenty years, but the basic jet pump design and characteristics has changed very little in the last forty years. Hull designs have seen improvements, but really just minor changes on the best hulls since the mid eighties. Some of the mid eighty Cheyennes are still the fastest hulls in the normally aspirated classes and many of the Placecraft and Eliminators (with bottom mods) are still the fastest in blown classes. Now the TPR, etc are newer improvements, but not really redesigns.
    In my humble opinion, the inducer can be a very good addition to many recreational jets and some race jetboats. On the lake, a lot of the fun races are determined in just a few hundred feet. When you can deck a 700 to 1000 hp powered engine in a jetboat from practically dead still in the water and go... well there is not much like it.
    We have run various eight to eleven second boats at the track with good e.t. gains. One Pro Gas Cheyenne picked up right at a tenth, but lost about 1 MPH on the average. A few other boats picked up almost three tenths in the quarter with either no loss of mph to a couple of mph loss. Now I am an old drag racer and I'll take a tenth lower in e.t. over a mph or so in finished speed anyday.
    So, if an experienced and respected pump builder that is familiar with your hull style recommends trying an inducer, I would not be against giving it a try. If it does not work, well, it is pretty easy to pull back out. I think it gets back to how Mike Edwards was trying to open our minds to thirty years ago. Funny thing, though, we still want to know what the other guy is doing even though our hull may be totally different. At the same time, hopefully we still can learn from each other.
    Gearhead
    can i borrow your inducer and shaft??? rondane said soo lol
    hey gear, you guys coming to bb on labor day or the 4th???

widowmaker
    Widow was your boat was at Archer Marine? If so I helped flip it my shop is next door. Dan is a good guy and does good work. Yes the keel came out nice on your boat.
    Yes it was, everything turned out great. I still need to address the shoe, and loader at this point, both of mine are fairly crude to say the least. Thanks for the help. I had stopped by on a sunday and Jeff was in your shop with a few boats. I hoping to make Ming in September. I've got a lot of work to do! Thanks guys for your input.

Bense468
    Maybe I missed it but how much power are you throwing at it? Just curious

widowmaker
    Maybe I missed it but how much power are you throwing at it? Just curious
    around 700+ I'm guessing, we'll just have to see what happens.

Widow, sorry i got all sidetracked in this thread last night and forgot to reply .. Yes I have an inducer and I do like it. It didnt set the world on fire when I installed it but when your trying to get everything out of your boat I think its a good thing. I have data with and without the DPS. In my opinion it worked for me.
    Hopefully we see you at Ming, hollar if you need anything.
    Chris.

Rondane
    i wont name places of buissness on here but they can lie,cheat and steal form some other poor ole country hick.
    yup, just ask taylorman. Funny thing is he keeps going back for more.

IMPATIENT 1
    rondane, i will admit myself i got a bad taste from my last dealings.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I figured that you would grow up someday. I guess I was wrong.......:sqeyes:

Pops@Aggressor
    Last Thing- On A "D" and Smaller-Always Use the Shallow Beach start with a Inducer and Two Big Guy's to push you OFF!

Jet Hydro
    rondane, i will admit myself i got a bad taste from my last dealings.
    :idea: Are you talking about who I think?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123