I have recently destroked my 454 to a 427. Mainly because I got a killer deal on a forged steel crank and I like the idea of having a more durable bottom end. Then to compensate for my loss of Cu inches, I went with some forged pop up pistons. This is where I started to think that almost by default, I may be heading in a much better direction. In relation to a jet drive unlike a street application, if all things being close to or equal, wouldn't a shorter stroke work much better? Let's say for example you could have a choice or either having a short stroke big bore or a longer stroke but smaller bore but each would achieve roughly the same cubic inches. Wouldn't the shorty move a jet much more rapidly? A jet not only needs torque and HP but RPMs as well. In my case I have lost CU's but gained comp (pop ups). With a better crank and rods, I think I have put togther something that will not only give me more reliability but more usable horsepower where I need it most. Just thought I would post this and see what you guys think. I will let you know if my changes helped me at all soon.
Thanks,