Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HOT amps

Beer-30
    And, does anyone have a pic of that nice amp enclosure with fans? Someone did a full install awhile back. Enclosed the amps in clear plexi and had fans moving air through the box. It looked real efficient.

Sotally Tober
    OK, is this normal? Yesterday I accidentally left the stereo on for a couple of hours with the volume all the way down. When I found it on I heard the fans on the amps running. I touched them, and damn they were hot. Why would they do this with no load? Is this normal?

Sotally Tober
    Anyone?

Tom Brown
    Normal except for class D.
    Someone should build a high end amp with a water jacket. Water cooling would be great for car or boat. Holy cow... would it ever make sense to wick the heat away to a radiator and small electric fan to be dispensed into the atmosphere at a convenient location.
    It wouldn't be that hard to fit your output ICs with waterblocks. Seriously.

Sotally Tober
    I think they both had fans running. My subwoofer amp is a class D. But in my configuration it is heated up by the lower one which I have a heat problem. After a few hours I'm sure it heated it enough to turn the fan on. I just thought they got hot from cranking the stereo. Guess not.

ROZ
    Normal except for class D.
    Someone should build a high end amp with a water jacket. Water cooling would be great for car or boat. Holy cow... would it ever make sense to wick the heat away to a radiator and small electric fan to be dispensed into the atmosphere at a convenient location.
    It wouldn't be that hard to fit your output ICs with waterblocks. Seriously.
    I wanted to run a freshwater tube thought the all of the heat sink/ cooling fins accross the top of a JL slash amp, but I had no takers... I think I mentioned it to RD a long while back...

Cheap Thrills
    here's some interesting reading on Thermoelectric cooling. I don't believe it will be too long before we start seeing this type of technology in high current mobile Amplifiers.Article 1 (http://news.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever...crochannel.htm) and 2 (http://www.tetech.com/)
    C.T. :wink:

Sotally Tober
    A lot of good stuff here. I am curious though, waht was your battery voltage whenthe amps started to cut out?
    They were at 12.6v-12.8v.
    I have been happy with my Trojans. Last weekend we went camping and I played for 2 days as well as had a plug in icechest (4 amps). At the end of the weekend was at 11.9v with no charge, even from the alt.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234